Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy .44 ejection

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Big Boy .44 ejection

Post by clovishound » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 am

The more you shoot the smoother they get.
I was watching a couple videos of Clovispup at the range with the Henrys. The vid of her when she was new to the BB in .357 was an eye opener. Her operation of the lever was awkward, and she was wanting to tilt the receiver to the side to eject the case. Now she operates smoothly, and keeps the rifle upright all the time. She didn't have much in the way of feed/ejection issues early on, but experience does make a difference.

The guns themselves smooth up as well, with use.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Shoot more and work the action in a consistent smooth controlled manner.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

Hack
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hack » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:31 pm

As stated above, the BB does not throw brass like semi automatics. The only FTF that I have experienced with mine have been the result of short stroking or tilting the rifle to the left (so the case fall back into the ejection port).
1 x

critter
Tenderfoot

Post by critter » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Well, I finally had a little chance to play with the rifle a little more today. I removed the lever and the bolt and using a 600 grit stone I lightly stoned the corners of the recess in the inside of the receiver where the ejector lays and also did the same to the recess in the side of the bolt where the ejector rides. With my fingernail it seemed I could feel a slight bit of roughness on these corners, probably feathers/roughness left over from when the grooves were machined. I was encouraged by the results, ejection seemed to be a little more positive. I think maybe by doing so I sped up the process of break in that would probably would be the end result of following the advice from those of you that suggested just shooting the rifle some more. The movement of the ejector as it springs out as the bolt comes back may have been retarded somewhat by these burrs.
Thanks so much to all of you that offered advice/suggestions! I appreciate it much-
Lee
1 x

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:07 pm

FWIW mine was "sticky" the first time out, touchy to eject and reload, 30 rounds that day,was better. I got home and just wiped the bolt down good and put some choke grease lightly all around the bolt and dropped a little oil in ejector area. Worked in good and yesterday.. FLAWLESS !! I hold muzzle up some [45deg?] and stock vertical. OH TAY
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:01 am

JEBar wrote:we have run somewhere between 500 and 1,000 rounds through our H010 BB Steel 44 .... no ejection failures .... I have noticed that just how far the spent shell is ejected is heavily dependent on how I work the lever .... not being into speed shooting I make no effort to work it at top speed .... in thinking about how to describe it, the best I can come up with is making a smooth all the way down and immediately all the way back up motion .... not all casings eject the same distance but I've considered that to be caused by me working the lever
the above comment was posted on Jul 10, 2016 .... fast forward to yesterday and literally untold thousands of (probably well over 10,000) rounds later, zero ejection issues .... yesterday at a family range, empty casings stopped totally ejecting .... rather, they would hangup partly sticking out of the ejection port .... this morning I pulled the bolt and found that the broken ejection spring (shown below) .... following a less than 5 minute call to Henry, a free replacement is on the way .... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Will you quit breaking that .44. I mean, if you can't be nice to it, I will give it a nice home. ;)
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:53 pm

The Wiz wrote:Will you quit breaking that .44. I mean, if you can't be nice to it, I will give it a nice home. ;)
I'll sure try to do so .... ;)
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:18 pm

10,000+ round ejector failure?!?!?! Off with their heads!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:55 pm

ESquared wrote:10,000+ round ejector failure?!?!?! Off with their heads!
in October I was fortunate enough to be able to take her out 4 times .... fired 300+ rounds twice, 200+ rounds once, and 150+ rounds once .... one of the things that continues to impress me about our 44 Henry is barrel heat doesn't seem to affect accuracy anywhere near as much as it does with other rifles I've owned .... its truly fun to fire .... so much so that I'm really glad that not too long ago we purchased a Hornady Lock-N-Load press .... having it makes it possible for us to keep her well fed
0 x