Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy .44 ejection

critter
Tenderfoot

Big Boy .44 ejection

Post by critter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:02 am

Hi all, I bought a Big Boy .44 with brass receiver new a couple of months ago. Beautiful rifle, fit and finish very nice, pretty wood, etc. It hung on the wall for a while, taking a back seat to other projects until I had a chance to finally get it out to the range last weekend.
My question is for other owners of this rifle and their experiences as far as ejection. With my rifle, while I haven't experienced any failures to eject, it is far from confidence inspiring as far as the manner in which it gets the brass out of the rifle. I cycle the lever very quickly and with a full stroke, and the brass is just not thrown out of the rifle with any conviction. It almost sort of dribbles the empties out of the ejection port, no matter how slowly or quickly the action is cycled. Is what I'm describing common and the nature of the beast, or does it need a trip back to Henry? I've looked at several YouTube videos on this rifle and some of the rifles appear to be not a lot different from mine, but at least one of them looked like it ejected with considerably more oomph than mine. I'm just waiting for mine to not get an empty out any time and I hate unreliability in any weapon.
Thanks for reading and taking the time to answer if you do, I enjoy hanging out here and reading on the different forums-
Lee
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Big Boy .44 ejection

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:45 am

If you feel confident enough to disassembly the rifle, take a look at the ejector and the ejector spring. Also, take a look at the extractor, plunger and the spring. These are the key components for ejecting a spent casing. The ejector will ride inside of a channel on the left side of the bolt. Make sure there isn't anything in that channel. Look for any burrs or anything (like machining chips) that would stop the ejector from operating like it should (cycle of operation). On the right side of the bolt is the extractor, plunger and it's spring. Make sure it operates like it should and that nothing is stopping it from completing it's cycle of operation.

If you do take it apart, let us know what you find out. You might not find anything wrong. But, then again, it might just need some TLC (cleaning and lube).
1 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:43 am

we have run somewhere between 500 and 1,000 rounds through our BB Steel 44 .... no ejection failures .... I have noticed that just how far the spent shell is ejected is heavily dependent on how I work the lever .... not being into speed shooting I make no effort to work it at top speed .... in thinking about how to describe it, the best I can come up with is making a smooth all the way down and immediately all the way back up motion .... not all casings eject the same distance but I've considered that to be caused by me working the lever
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:49 am

Here is a page with the instructional videos Henry has for disassembly of the Big Boys. I found it very helpful, in fact indispensable, when I pulled my BB down for cleaning. Not too difficult, but follow the video unless you are well versed in gunsmithing.

https://www.henryrifles.com/henry-instr ... -boy-h006/
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:02 am

My 45 Colt BB ejects well, they pop out and drop not too far away. But my Henry is not a rapid fire rifle. That's not what it's best at. Regular shooting there's no problem.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

critter
Tenderfoot

Post by critter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks guys very much for all the input and suggestions. I'll be doing a check on related components as I have time and I'll give y'all an update on what I find-
Lee
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Good luck!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:54 pm

critter wrote:Thanks guys very much for all the input and suggestions. I'll be doing a check on related components as I have time and I'll give y'all an update on what I find-
Lee
Check out this video. You can see first hand of just how well the ammo ejects when the lever is cycled slow and when the lever is cycled at rapid fire. There is a big difference in ejection between the two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pKqyWDTiA Maybe this video will ease your mind or give you closure.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

critter
Tenderfoot

Post by critter » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Rugerfanboy wrote:
critter wrote:Thanks guys very much for all the input and suggestions. I'll be doing a check on related components as I have time and I'll give y'all an update on what I find-
Lee
Check out this video. You can see first hand of just how well the ammo ejects when the lever is cycled slow and when the lever is cycled at rapid fire. There is a big difference in ejection between the two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pKqyWDTiA Maybe this video will ease your mind or give you closure.
Thank you for the vid link! I guess what I'm seeing with his rifle is kind of similar to the way mine seems. Maybe I just need to get used to the way lever guns function, although my Frontier does zip empties out with authority. I'm used to the FALs, AUGs and ARs zinging straight out with enough velocity to go in the ear of the shooter 4 positions down the firing line- (j/k) :)
Even my bolt guns eject more like the semiautos, but they're all Mauser type actions, they don't play around getting the brass out.
I'll still pull my BB apart when I have a chance and look for burrs etc. I'll let y'all know what I find. I may be a little too anal about it, the rearward velocity of the bolt in a lever gun probably doesn't approach that of any of the others. Thanks again for all the helpful answers.
Lee
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:50 pm

These guns do not eject across the room like an AR15. I shoot left handed and when cycling the lever on a bench I can consistently get mine to eject and drop on my right forearm. They eject fine but not with great force. If I'm paying attention I can often catch them in the air with my right hand. Open action, catch casing, set on bench and close action.

I've read a lot of folks saying how you need to cycle these like they owe you money. BS! Just do a solid and controlled full stroke. Open to eject then close in a smooth motion. Being too forceful can lead to jamming a cartridge that doesn't want to go in. Then you have real problems to deal with. It's all about smooth. The more you shoot the smoother they get.

Mine is a brass 44 mag. But the same applies to my Golden boy 22 and my 45/70 all brass models.
5 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.