Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A dirty .357 Big Boy !

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A dirty .357 Big Boy !

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm

My CCH 357 rifle I haven't cleaned after maybe 150 rounds or so of MB coated bullets the only type bullets I have shot thru it.
Being coated lead I didn't think the bore would be too fouled up like my other guns but it was dirty.

Spray the bore down several times and ran the bronze brush thru it many times and the Ballistol residue running out the muzzle looked like black dirty engine oil! Had the bolt out for a good thru cleaning and after a few patches it was still dirty on the patches. More spray down with the Ballistol and more brushing finally got it clean. Must have been some lead fouling even with the coated MB bullets.

Next range outing with it I will send a few jacketed bullets thru it for last shots. The dirty bore didn't seem to hurt the accuracy of it though from my target shots on Saturday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: A dirty .357 Big Boy !

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:39 pm

Nice shooting...
So you think the jacketed pills will remove the lead?

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:03 pm

When I shoot the MB coated bullets, the first 2-3 patches some out looking pretty bad. Seems to clean up fairly good after that. Well, we know how firearms are. Ain't no two alike. Shooting looks good tho forty.
Randy, how ya been doing?
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:39 pm
Nice shooting...
So you think the jacketed pills will remove the lead?

RP
Yes they do tend to clean the bore IF it isn't leaded too bad. Now after I shot my first 20-30 rounds thru it I did check the bore with my bore light and it look OK. So I put off cleaning it until today which has been a while. I will clean my .45 Colt Henry Carbine tomorrow and see how that one comes out and I need to do the .44 as well!

Note that card target shot was before any cleaning and last rounds shot.
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 am

That’s kind of strange that you’re building lead in the bore. I use the MB 250 gr. RNFP in my 45 Colt Marlin and get almost no lead build up. I usually let it go 3 or more range trips before I feel guilty about not cleaning. 2 or 3 wet patches followed by dry patches and I’m good to go. Mostly the barrel is dirty from powder residue. My load is 7.0 gr of Bullseye behind the MB 250 RNFP.

For a lot of years I shot lead wadcutters in my 1911. They leaded the barrel very much so I tried firing 10 jacketed bullets after each range session. As far as I could tell it did nothing to get lead out of the bore, but it works for you - do it. My theory is success using jacketed rounds, to get lead out, depends on the barrel construction and rifling. It can’t hurt to try.
0 x