Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gas Blow Back on Suppressed 44 Mag BB X Model

Yaguul
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Gas Blow Back on Suppressed 44 Mag BB X Model

Post by Yaguul » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Finally bought a new X Lever Big Boy in 44 Mag after searching for months. I put a Silencerco Octane 45 HD Suppressor (without Nielsen device) on it after verifying with Silencerco that it is rated for the 44 Mag. After all, I don't need a suppressor grenading in my face. It did a good job of eliminating the muzzle blast of the 44 Mag but of course the supersonic crack remains as expected. It really suppresses the 44 Spl to the point you wouldn't even need ear plugs (quieter than my suppressed 22 LR). However, I get a unexpected amount of gas blow back to my face. I've experienced this when shooting a suppressed pistol but I really did not expect this on the lever action. Examining the spent casing I see an unusual amount of powder residue on the casing exterior. It's not uniformly distributed around the casing either. Has anyone else suppressed their X Lever? What has been your experience?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Gas Blow Back on Suppressed 44 Mag BB X Model

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:03 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... do hope you will feel free to read and post often .... I don't recall any mention of this type of issue and am looking forward to coming reports as to cause and correction .... be sure to follow the link below to where you may add your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p143310
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Yaguul, are these handload or factory rounds? Cast type bullets? If handloads, I'm thinking a bit more powder or crimp adjustment.
0 x

Yaguul
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Yaguul » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:01 pm

All factory loads. I won't have a chance to pursue this for a while as it's going back to Henry for a lever jamming issue. Apparently this lever problem is not unique.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Yaguul wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:01 pm
All factory loads. I won't have a chance to pursue this for a while as it's going back to Henry for a lever jamming issue. Apparently this lever problem is not unique.
If you have a chance throw a tape measure on your rifle and check for Total rifle length and barrel length.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:56 pm

If you are only experiencing this with the .44spl's, I can tell you what your problem is.
You are not getting a hot enough load to properly expand the cases and sealing them to the chamber wall.
When running a suppressor, you're holding a lot of pressure in the chamber longer than normal. Call it back-pressure if you will.

Look at the offending cases.
I'll bet each and every one have a soot mark on one side of the case.
This is from escaping gases, due to an improper seal between case and chamber.
If you reload, try a slightly faster burning powder.

Try a different brand of .44spl's, and I would NOT recommend cowboy loads.
0 x