Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BBS > Side Gate

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: BBS > Side Gate

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:09 pm

I look at the loading gate as more for self-defense. No, a lever action rifle may not be the first choice. But if it becomes a choice, it would be handy for a quick reload. Just like a spare tire, it is nice when a tire is flat.

I am sure a lot of us never thought that our society would seriously be discussing defunding police, please let's not make this political. My point simply is that we do not see the future. To me, it is better to be safe than sorry. A side gate could make the difference between a rifle being ready for service or not.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm

GFK wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:09 pm
I look at the loading gate as more for self-defense. No, a lever action rifle may not be the first choice. But if it becomes a choice, it would be handy for a quick reload. Just like a spare tire, it is nice when a tire is flat.

I am sure a lot of us never thought that our society would seriously be discussing defunding police, please let's not make this political. My point simply is that we do not see the future. To me, it is better to be safe than sorry. A side gate could make the difference between a rifle being ready for service or not.
Unfortunately, I've been pondering this a bit as well. The times, they 'are a changing'.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:53 pm

GFK wrote:

Not sure how defunding police slipped into this thread, and you said, let's not make this political.

Thank you!...let's not.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Somebody might come out with a side gate conversion mod one day. Can't be that difficult to do. Would be nice to compare the actual parts and internal look of receiver between the two! I would like to see the two levers and ammo lifters.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:44 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:53 pm
GFK wrote:

Not sure how defunding police slipped into this thread, and you said, let's not make this political.

Thank you!...let's not.
Mark,

Just using a real world situation in support of a loading gate. It seem most thought there is no reason for a loading gate. Just simply stated a reason does exist. And, I recall Henry making a comment about self-defense in one of its commercials, in support of a loading gate. I figured that we are all big boys and girls and could acknowledge real world events, without getting political. Hunting or target shooting are not the only reason for owning a firearm. If that was the case, the point made about not having a loading gate may have more merit. At any rate, that is why I stressed about not getting political. In reality, a lot of things could be political. Please, let's have an adult discussing, without going too far. However, I did not view the mere mention of defunding police as being political. But if the mere mention of the words are viewed as political, please let me know.

Thanks,
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:01 pm

No problem GFK.
The issue I think you were referring to was one of self defense which can be discussed without relating to current very political issues.
Once again; thank you for your comment of not getting political, however, it could have easily gone that way.
Just wanted to speak up before that potentially happened.
Thank you for your understanding. ☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks Mark! I understand your concern and share it. Things could go differently. I used the example to illustrate that self-defense may be more important now than ever before. If I was in the market for a lever gun (but, I am currently looking at shotguns though), I would lean toward one with a side gate. It just seems the more options one have, the better off he is. Stay safe.
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 pm

If considering a lever gun for self defense as well as hunting and targets then the side load makes good sense.
0 x