Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wow this is interesting...barrel lengths !

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Wow this is interesting...barrel lengths !

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:49 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 pm
fortyshooter wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:08 pm
Amazing! How can that be I have same overhang with an extra inch of barrel? Enter the Twilight Zone!
When was your rifle made? My rifle OAL is 35 1/4 inch.
A longer mag tube on your rifle would account for the same overhang as a shorter barrel.

2018, 35.5" oal (approx according to my tape).
My .44 Carbine mag tube is 16.0 end to end and rifle OAL is 35.5 The .45 Colt Carbine is 34.5 OAL with 15 7/8 mag tube.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Paratus wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:27 pm
So I would think an octagon barrel would be a great switch out, however I am not holding my breath. However my curiosity remains as mine measures like fortyshooter.
GunnyGene bought his in 2018 and he says his barrel is 16.5 from end to bolt face.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:02 pm

My mag tube and barrel length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:40 pm

I have a confession to make. I remeasured my barrel and it's 17.5" (muzzle to bolt face). So it would appear that is the standard length for BBSC's. Which still raises the question of why Henry would fib by claiming barrel length is 16.5". Are they doing the same with their other models? Are they not bound by the ATF procedure below?

https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Can't wait to hear the real story!
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Was watching another Youtube review of the Henry .44 BBS carbine from a year ago and the guy quoted the 16.5 inch barrel.
Sent him a reply to measure it and he replied back that his measured 17.5 also. I'm thinking ALL of the .44 Carbines are actually 17.5 inch...wonder why? Maybe Anthony Imperato knows the secret!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:39 pm
Was watching another Youtube review of the Henry .44 BBS carbine from a year ago and the guy quoted the 16.5 inch barrel.
Sent him a reply to measure it and he replied back that his measured 17.5 also. I'm thinking ALL of the .44 Carbines are actually 17.5 inch...wonder why? Maybe Anthony Imperato knows the secret!
The simplest explanation is that Henry doesn't (or hasn't) included the chamber depth in their barrel length until recently with the X models. Just like you don't count chamber depth in a revolver. Odd, but not illegal. Other manufacturers rifles I have include the chamber in overall barrel length.

Also interesting is that Henry has purged the website of the BBSC's (and other models)"Additional Specifications" drop down details, although barrel length of 16.5" is still mentioned in the text description. :lol:
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:35 am

The ball is rolling now as I am currently discussing this with Anthony Imperato....stay tuned!

Watched and read all the " professional".44 Carbine reviews and nobody ever measured the barrel length. Never assume!!!
1 x