Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Suggested scope base for lowest height options

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Suggested scope base for lowest height options

Post by Grunt67 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:46 pm

I think this may be misunderstood. I have the Leupold VX Freedom 2X7 also. It has 33mm lenses, not tube. Tube is 1".
I used Warne Maxima bases ( 2 Pc ), Warne Maxima rings, high mount to clear everything, barely did above the buck horns.
FWIW
1 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

ReLever
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ReLever » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:18 am

Options are everything. I try to stay open minded, thinking levers have been around for such a long time, there has to be several options.
Prior to posting here, I was in the midst of experimenting with ring height. The MED (Leupy) rings were the first test, as seen above. I had a set of Back Country LOW also in mind at the time, which finally arrived. I was a little skeptical, but they did make a noticeable difference. I would still like the height another 1/8"-3/16" if attainable.

The camera is at a slightly different angle, but here are the LOW rings.

I will also be looking into other scope base options mentioned.
Thanks for the additional input.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:57 am

looks good to me .... thanks for the update .... looking forward to your reporting as you continue your search
0 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:51 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm
Change the rail. The Ranger Point Precision rail is the lowest available for the Big Boy. It is nicer than the Henry version, for sure. ... https://www.rangerpointstore.com/rhino ... ry-rifles/

BTW, there is nothing at all wrong with that 2-7 scope, that is what I have mounted on my BBX, using Warne steel QD rings. Mine is older and has a 1” tube.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I agree with John. Here's a photo I recently posted of my .44 BB Steel with the Rhino Rail from RPP. It's also channeled for sighting if you remove the scope.
IMG_20200427_224718160~2.jpg
I seem to recall reading that it is military spec picatinny and Weaver picatinny may not be compatible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:40 pm

It's tough to get a scope low enough on a lever action. I've done it on a couple of rifles, but it involved fixed power scopes mounted forward of the hammer. Weaver lows are the lowest rings I know of, but you need a rail that's short enough to fall inside the eyepiece and objective.
0 x

plr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by plr » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Probably too late for the original OP, but I just bought a Long Ranger. I mounted a 3-15x42 scope on Talley's extra low mounts. The only problem is eye relief because the turret is right up against the rings. But there is plenty of clearance. That rail pictured is great for eye relief, and but not so great for lowering the scope as much as possible.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/pro ... h010-h014/
0 x

ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by ironbrew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:22 am

I really want the Ranger Point with the cloverleaf ghost ring. The export permits from the US make it quite expensive, then add $30 to 40 for shipping. I'm getting a few buddies together so we can split the costs... But it's hunting season, so they haven't committed yet.
0 x