Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

All Weather bore

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: All Weather bore

Post by JEBar » Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 am

copper fowling was an issue that came as something of a surprise to me a couple of years ago when I found it in the barrel of my almost 20 year old barrel of my favorite hunting rifle .... the link below is to a rather long discussion of copper fowling that has some good info .... one of the points raised centers on many folks find the inside of the barrels of standard production firearms don't seem to be as finely honed as those of years ago .... when that's the case, jacketed bullets can leave copper traces inside the barrel .... some folks believe that as more and more rounds pass through the barrel, they will hone it and will reduce the fowling

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... er+solvent
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Wed May 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Cooper fouling in several of my guns is an issue. One I have easily solved on most of them by cleaning with a copper solvent at the end of my normal cleaning. If shooting more rounds through the barrel does hone it then the copper will have to be removed after every shoot otherwise you will just be honing the copper fouling. The guns that are the worst offenders I will pressure lap them and it has always helped. My new 357 BB seems to take a lot of scrubbing and multiple patches of copper solvent before it doesn't discolor the patch. It shoots well so if in the future the problem remains the same I will probably fire lap it with the higher grits just to smooth the bore.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed May 06, 2020 3:06 pm

I have used, actually still do, a 50-50 mix of Hoppe's#9 and Kroil. A couple wet patches thru the bore and let set for a while. An hour should do. Go thru your normal cleaning, should be good. All bets are off if the bore is really, really rough. Not the norm tho. Try the mix if possible. Certainly won't hurt.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Another related topic here
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =10#p66222

There GFK posted before and after cleaning.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Post by John M » Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Thanks for the replys I take it that the bore is chrome lined so I only need to worry about fouling.
0 x

iplaywithnoshoes
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by iplaywithnoshoes » Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Henry says on their site that the more is also hard chromed. Hard chroming and chrome lining however might mean different things.
0 x