Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which marlin springs?

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Which marlin springs?

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:51 pm

I have pulled the bolt and given it a good cleaning, oiled up everything and .. I am still getting at least 1 or 2 light strikes on my reloads per tube. I thought I might be seating the primers to deep so changed how I seat them but went out on Tuesday and still the same.

I am using CCI primers but it happened with Winchesters too both in 357 cases.

I can light off all the factory ammo I have bought but truth is .. if I cant figure out how to fire my reloads I will have to sell the gun. Its a fun gun but it wont be so fun if I can only shoot expensive factory ammo. All my 38 and 357 ammo will work and has worked through my 4 revolvers without issue for years.

So I want to try one more thing. I understand that the action of the Henry is very similar to a particular Marlin but .. I cant figure out which Marlin. I would like to order an extra power hammer spring from wolff

https://www.gunsprings.com/MARLIN/39A,% ... 101/dID169

Can someone please help me out and tell me which of these might work.
Alex

Thank you in advance for any assistance!! :)
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Which marlin springs?

Post by Rifletom » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Alex, I'd call Wolf and see what they say. Not the one for 39A, that's for a .22 Maybe call Henry and see what they have to say. I'm certainly no gunsmith, but, I wouldn't sell that rifle. Other members here will chime in and hopefully help you get this straightened out.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:33 pm

On my Marlins I remove the the stock and push the hammer strut mount to the side until it is free from the notch in the tang. I add a number ten machine washer to the front or rear end of the spring and put it back in. I use a socket and extension to push the strut back into the tang notch and then center it in the notch. Should be enough to give it more energy to the hammer. I have installed Wolf hammer springs in a few and got light strikes and went back to factory springs. 39A's are more for light strikes than the center fires. If you are putting the springs in a Henry I am not familiar with the Henry spring sizes. The lighter hammer spring helps on a slightly lighter trigger and the lever works more easily.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Alex wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:51 pm
I can light off all the factory ammo I have bought...

Alex

a few questions .... when you refer to light strikes, can you see a visible difference in the primer strikes with bullets that fire and those that don't .. :?: .. have you tried pulling the trigger a second time .... if so, did it fire .. :?: .. have you fired enough factory loads to say with confidence there are no misfires factory ammo.. :?:
2 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:47 pm

The hammer springs for the 336, 94 and the 95 are all the same spring and look the same as my BB spring but I have never tried to interchange them. I have read that Marlin springs will work in a BB. I would check out what JEbar said and Bandits idea would work also if the hammer spring is weak.
2 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Thank you everyone! So let me see if I can offer some more info that may or may not be useful.

I have fired about 100 rds maybe 120 of Remington 158 gr 357 HTP soft points. They all worked fine.

I know that there is a 2 piece firing pin and I figured out how it works and understand it's a safety measure to protect against firing out of battery.

What I don't know is if the firing pin is dependent on pressure from the rear of the round to project it backward toward the hammer but sometimes it projects alot, sometimes barely.

I don't know if it works the same as my revolvers but I did the pencil test and the pencil doesn't leave the barrel. Not sure if that means anything. I hear it pop but it doesn't escape the barrel. Just jumps some.

The action is slick and the trigger pull is great but I noticed when I came home after my last range trip that the screw just above and rear of the one that secures the lever was almost completely out. I read it held the trigger group but can't swear. I tightened it down but haven't shot it since. It was about to fall out.

I am a long time revolver shooter and if I light strike I can usually fix it with a new hammer spring so I thought I would try a heavier spring.

Some of the rounds fired on second strike... Some didnt. I just don't keep finicky guns even really pretty grail guns. I have to figure this out but don't know what I don't know.
Last edited by Alex on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:27 pm

Clearly screws can loosen and that may be part or all of the problem causing your light strikes. Let us know if tightening it resolved the issue when you get a chance to shoot again.

I'm nowhere near experienced enough to consider replacing parts in my BBB, but -- like you -- I did have a firing pin that made regular, intermittent light strikes. This was a few years ago. I returned the rifle to Henry for repair; they replaced the firing pin portions of the bolt and I haven't had a single misfire since. You might consider talking to their CS about it before you spend time trying to modify it on your own. In any case, good luck. Keep us posted.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"