Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Magnum Journey

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Magnum Journey

Post by Rifletom » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 am

GMC, very nice Henry you picked up. And your photography skills are very good also.Nice touch. You mentioned scope. Any idea yet as to which one? Also, forty's idea of modifying rear sigh with hacksaw blade work is an option. He'll walk you thru it, if tried. Welcome from Ca.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:57 am

Goodbye Middle Class wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:37 pm
GFK wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 pm
Look nice! Yes, they are made well. Hope you enjoy shooting it. I have not seen a support like that. It is different. Happy shooting!
The support is a Cell phone holder with suction cup. :roll:
Good eyes. I figured it could be something common. But, I did not pick it out: might be an indication of where my cellular phone is at while I am driving. Yet, ingenuity at its best.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great photos of your new Henry. Glad you joined and look forward to more.
Goodbye Middle Class wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 pm
Hello All. New to the forum.

This is going to be a photo thread of my Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Magnum Journey.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 am

Nice pictures, Henry should hire you to do their catalog shoots. :D
1 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:52 pm

Oddly enough I started this journey shortly before the recent madness and shut-downs began. My Father-in-law picked up a Henry .22 Frontier last year. Nice looking rifle which got me to thinking. I liked the look of the Big Boy Steel and figured why not pick up a Pistol cartridge rifle and a revolver that share the same ammo. Settled on the .44 and purchased it.

Next I figured I better have what I might need to properly maintain or modify it. So I set out to do a lot of research and decided on a few items I felt would be the most useful.

A gunsmith. I will never be.

However, we all know half the job of any project is having at least some of the right tools. Here are a few I picked up through MidwayUSA. I figured If I want to mount a scope I better consider a lapping set and a F.A.T. wrench.

I found a Professional Scope Mounting Kit Combo from Wheeler Engineering for a reasonable price.

1.png
2.png
3.png

I also found a Tipton Best Gun Vise that came with an additional Wheeler Driver set...

4.png
5.png

Finally some of the several things I ordered direct from Henry were a .44 Mag Replacement Ammunition Tube (because I like redundancy) figuring if I dropped/bent anything it would be that.

6.png

And lastly a Henry Big Boy Large Loop Lever. Just because I like the way it looks better than the original. Also, Not to mention, when God handed out fingers I somehow got overstuffed sausages.

7.png

So how easy was it to replace the loop on the Big Boy Steel?

Stupid easy. Like, remove one screw easy.

8.png

Cock the bolt back half-way, remove one screw.....

9.png

This screw........

10.png

Cycles great and looks even better!

11.png

That's all for now. Coming soon......

I ordered several scope mounts (From Henry, Ranger Point Precision, MidwayUSA, OpticsPlanet, Rhino Rail, Vortex)because I wasn't sure which would work best with the scope I purchased. I'll share why I chose the scope I did and what my reasoning was for the set up. (I'm certain to illicit some groans and giggles). Just a matter of preference.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Goodbye Middle Class on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:16 pm

From the Henry store, I bought the Talley integral mount/ring set up for my two Henry's. Fairly low and rock solid. Price was right also. Rifle is looking good.
2 x

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:16 pm
From the Henry store, I bought the Talley integral mount/ring set up for my two Henry's. Fairly low and rock solid. Price was right also. Rifle is looking good.
Funny you mention that RT! I did the same......

Talley Integral Mount. Nice one piece unit....
12.png
13.png
17.png
14.png
15.png
16.png
Interesting story: When the item was delivered it came, in the package, missing one of the ring uppers and hex machine screws. Henry customer service was wonderful. They responded quickly, asked for the part number and what was missing. Within a matter of days the missing parts were shipped to me direct. Very pleased.

I agree it makes a nice and solid scope mount. I'm glad I have it, but.......I think I'm going in a different direction...........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:37 am

Wheeler makes good stuff .... I'll never use most of the bits in their Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set ===> https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineer ... 153&sr=8-3 .... that said, the set has become a highly valued part of our equipment .... agree on the large loop, installing one was the first mod we made to our BBS 44 Mag
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:49 am

Welcome from MS. I'm a little embarrassed to post any pics of mine, after seeing your very professional photog skills. But, here's one anyway that I snapped right after I bought my .41 BBSC 2 deer seasons ago. Since then, I've scoped it out of necessity (75yo eyes). Bought this model to go with the .41 mag Blackhawk, and for hunting. I have enough land here that I don't need to hunt public land, which is nice.

Don't know what your preference is for ammo, but I'd recommend Underwood ( https://www.underwoodammo.com/collectio ... ton-magnum ) for commercially available hunting ammo. Very consistent performance, and should let you easily reach out to 150yds or so with your Henry.

The display is one I made several years ago that hangs in the den.

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Goodbye Middle Class
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Goodbye Middle Class » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:38 am

Nice pic GG. It's on topic and I'm glad you posted. That's the point of a photo thread. Being relatively new to the Henry Rifle world, I found I was hungry for as much info as possible.

Seemed like my searches kept coming back to the same group of photos and videos.

What I discovered is that while articles we're great, I actually learned more from the forums, pictures, and YouTube videos that kept it simple, actually just showing and sharing information.
0 x