Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BB Ejector Tuning

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: BB Ejector Tuning

Post by GFK » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:53 am

Yes, I can understand. As JEBar mentioned, maybe Henry can provide some insight.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Well I couldn't stand it any more, so I whipped out the old angle grinder and sawzall. Figuring I had nothing to lose and with a lot of free time on my hands lately, I beveled and polished the sharp edges on the ejector, similar to the way some folks tune the 1911 extractor in case you're familiar them.

The red line shows where I lightly rounded and polished the front part of the ejector. The yellow circle is where I beveled and polished the part of the ejector that helps hold the case against the bolt face. That part of the ejector formed a 90 degree angle and was fairly sharp, and seemed to be where the case rims were hanging up. Although hard to see, I added a 45 degree angle to the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the that part and then lightly smoothed the corners with a rubber polishing bit. The green arrow shows where I also added a slight bevel to that portion the ejector on the bottom edge facing the bolt face. One other place I noticed that was very sharp is the bottom left corner of the bolt face, highlighted in blue. I also lightly hit that with an India stone and rubber polishing bit.

I took off a very minimal amount of metal - key word is minimal. I've tested the modded ejector with everything I can find from snap caps, 44 Special and 44 Magnum. After this little bit of work, rounds feed much smoother now regardless of whether I cycle the lever gently or with a lot of gusto. If I notice any resistance, I just add little more pressure to the lever and the round pops into place. Before, I had to double cycle the lever to get a sticky round to feed.

As usual, YMMV, etc, etc.
Pete

Last edited by azdover on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:13 pm

tip of my cap for being willing to undertake such a project .... looking forward to your reports down the line
0 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 pm

"I might add a slight bevel to the front part of the circled yellow area to see if that helps."

I originally had this sentence in my post above but removed it. On second thought, it might not be such a good idea to bevel this area. When the bolt comes back during the ejection cycle, It looks like this is the part of the ejector the catches the back side of the empty shell case and starts it rotating towards the extractor and ejection port. Pretty sure this part needs to be fairly sharp. If I beveled it, it might skip over the rim and result in a failure to eject.

I've seen an improvement with what little I've done so far, so might as well stop while I'm ahead. More a matter of being lucky than skillful anyway. When the supply line opens up again, I'll order another ejector and experiment with that one. As of now, between the ejector work and my aluminum foil lever mod, I've got a working rifle that I can shoot until the Arizona governor closes the desert for shooting due to the wild fire season.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:51 am

Azdover, kudos on your work and the great explanation with the pics. My BB was not ejecting the rounds sometimes and jamming a lot when the bolt was worked slow. I thought I had 2 problems but both were corrected when I bent the ejector to put a little more force on it as the round was collapsing the ejector to much and forcing the round to enter the chamber with an angle from the side.
1 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:25 pm

leverjc,
Thanks for the suggestion. Just to make sure I understand, you were bending the ejector more to the right if looking the rifle from above? Might try that too.
Last edited by azdover on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm

Yep that's it. When I worked it slow it wouldn't kick the shell out either now is no problem. I think what I did was power what you did was finesse.
0 x