Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy X .44 Mag lifter hangs on next round

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Big Boy X .44 Mag lifter hangs on next round

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 pm

while they come as no surprise, such positive reports are always great to hear .... looking forward to your range and use impressions once you have her back
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Please keep us posted. I'm curious if it was the tube vs the carrier.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:29 pm

You can email ask. They answered me when I did for my repair.
John E Davies wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:28 pm
... warranty page does not have any corrective action listed, I guess I will have to wait and see what is on the repair order in the box.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Got my BBX back today. I found a note in the box, they “replaced the lever and inner mag tube, adjusted carrier and side gate, polished feed ramps and checked over rifle”.

I loaded up my dummy rounds and they cycle through like butter, snick snick snick. I haven’t tried any other ammo. The side gate is a little easier to use, I did mention that issue. It is still pretty stiff and awkward.

One thing puzzles me, why change the lever? And look at these pics, there are two ground down areas that are obviously done by the smith, since they were raw and rather nasty looking IMHO. I dressed them with a flat stone and blued the steel to prevent any future rusting.

53B42BDB-F7A4-45D6-891A-98865494CDB4.jpeg
3407D162-9E85-4278-B5B0-8ACE3F5B6A06.jpeg

Any ideas what those extra things are for?

Also, I checked the trigger with my Lyman gauge and I am not real happy, but the gun is not going back for this....

4C2F0106-0C38-49BA-8FA7-6AFFCEE9DFEC.jpeg

I can’t access a range to test the rifle, everything is locked down tight.

Finally, no gift was included, though I was excited to see a Henry card envelope, but inside, all it said was thank you, no prize or discount card. I wouldn’t have minded a Henry ball cap....

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 am

Saw this post while scanning through the forum while waiting for my account to get activated. Have the same situation in the same rifle. Unfortunately, I got my 44 Mag about the same time the OP got his back from Henry and by the time I discovered the problem, Henry has been temporarily shutdown. I've been in touch with customer service by email and they are aware of the problem. I'm sure they'll help out when things are safe enough for them to return to work.

Meanwhile, while looking at all the moving parts, I noticed where the lever raises the carrier when cycling it. I started to wonder (which is normally a bad thing) if the lever could raise the carrier just a little more, would it prevent the jam by the next round in the magazine tube. I almost reached for the JB Weld but then noticed a roll of blue painters tape on the board. With nothing better to do with all my free time, I added a couple of pieces to the lever as shown in the picture below. No more jams! Surprising how a couple of pieces of tape measuring .009" thick helped. By no means a permanent solution but it looks like there may be a solution in sight. Meantime, I've switched the masking tape for some aluminum foil duct tape figuring it might be a little more durable. I've cycled the lever at least one hundred times and so far the foil has not worn out and the rifle functions perfectly during the load and ejection sequence. Again, not a permanent fix, but it will do for now. I may just have to social distance myself out into the desert and give it a try.

Be safe,
Pete

4 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Great discovery! They might already know what the problem is, but maybe share your finding with Henry CS anyway.
azdover wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 am
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:59 pm

AZDover where are you at in AZ
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:59 pm
AZDover where are you at in AZ
North part of Phoenix.
0 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Mags wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 pm
Great discovery! They might already know what the problem is, but maybe share your finding with Henry CS anyway.
azdover wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 am
Already did. Asked them to send me some Henry factory tape in the mean time to keep from voiding my warranty :D
2 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Henry looks like they're open for business again and finally got a shipping label from CS. Turn around wasn't too bad - week and a half. Work order showed they replaced the trigger guard and adjusted lock up. Also looks like they replaced the lever. Everything feeds and ejects with no problems. Now, just have to wait until it cools down enough to go shoot it (I'm afraid the plastic furniture will melt with all the record heat we're expecting here in the Valley of (WAY TOO MUCH) Sun.

Time for my happy face :D

1 x