Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy X .44 Mag lifter hangs on next round

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Big Boy X .44 Mag lifter hangs on next round

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:02 pm

I suspect the only functional QC check is their test firing. The reliability testing looks like it's left to the customer. So far Henry rifle 'after the fact' problems hasn't hurt Henry, likely because other firearm makers current production aren't any better.
PJM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:31 pm
Random qc sampling may work well for a single shot production line but not for a mechanism that relies on multiple moving interrelated parts. This gun would be a perfect Alaskan guide firearm of choice, but not if unreliable. Companies that take care of problems 'after the fact' will eventually seal their own fate.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 pm

I just looked at my H009CC a little closer and even though not a side gate, it appears that the carrier sits a little higher than center when the lever is open, relying on the magazine spring to push round onto the carrier, allowing the carrier to follow the contour of the loading bullet untill it catches on the face of rim of the next round,and not under it as your picture shows. The carrier appears to be traveling too low and getting under the rim of the next round. I would be afraid to attempt a self fix and voiding a warranty and you made the right choice to let them straighten it out. Let us know how you make out.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:39 pm

PJM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 pm
I just looked at my H009CC a little closer and even though not a side gate, it appears that the carrier sits a little higher than center when the lever is open, relying on the magazine spring to push round onto the carrier, allowing the carrier to follow the contour of the loading bullet untill it catches on the face of rim of the next round,and not under it as your picture shows. The carrier appears to be traveling too low and getting under the rim of the next round. I would be afraid to attempt a self fix and voiding a warranty and you made the right choice to let them straighten it out. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks that is informative, can you try to get a pic similar to the one I posted, showing the highest position of the carrier relative to the chamber mouth? I used my cell phone camera with flash, but I also lit the area directly with a strong flashlight. Maybe we can see a difference.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:54 am

I will do my best. I will get back to you shortly..
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:16 am

John, please see attached photos. The carrier with lever fully open covers say10 to 15 % of the red follower. I still can't figure out what holds the next round in place as the carrier moves upward as you can't see in as you close the lever. Just prior to complete lockup the carrier rotates back down to pick up next round. I watched dissambly video to look at top of trigger plate but could not see what is holding the next round in place. The next time I pull the trigger plate for cleaning I will have a better idea. Keep us informed please.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:32 am

I appreciate the pics, I was hoping for one showing the lifter fully “lifted” up to show it in relation to the chamber opening. That would be an indicator of whether or not mine is bent up or deformed. I think mine is too high in relation to the feed ramp, but I have no simple way to verify that. See this annotated pic:
70B933C1-935C-408A-8FBB-C977CCE02852.jpeg
Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Try this view seems the same as yours. I have to close lever slightly to get to highest point. The carrier never blocks the chamber. Closng the lever about 1/2 way starts the carrier downward. Looks like l need to get at this gun with a chamber brush as I see some brass in there!
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:04 pm

OK, cool, I think my lifter is bent up....... Maybe I did that by struggling with the lever too much when it was jamming....? How hard can you reef on the lever without bending or tweaking those smaller internal parts?

It seems as if there should be a “fuse”/ torque limiter in the system, an easy to replace part or shear pin that will simply fail completely - SNAP - if stressed beyond normal limits. Is there one? If you own a snow blower you know exactly what I am talking about....

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:47 pm

John, Im not 100% certain but I believe it is a casting and not bendable. I have to say I really am not gentle with my lever. I don't think you could hurt it. I'm not sure but there may be a difference between a carrier for a straight wall cartridge like yours vs. My 30-30 and then maybe not. Have you taken out the carrier yet as well as the trigger plate? If not then nothing could be a reassembly issue. The fix is on them. You will be happy with their customer service. I had a minor cosmetic crack in my 44mag single shot and they sent me a new stock based on a verbal email. The stock they sent me was a better looking walnut. Having to use a return on a new firearm is aggravating. I had to send back a new Ruger gp100, to repolish one of the cylinder chambers as empties were hard to eject. I have multiple Rugers and have confidence in their processes.Henry will make it right.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Henry has fixed my gun, apparently, and sent it off by UPS today (Friday). I will get it next Wednesday. They received it late last Wednesday, a TWO day turnaround... That is pretty amazing service considering the virus situation. My “Customer Portal” warranty page does not have any corrective action listed, I guess I will have to wait and see what is on the repair order in the box.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x