Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Maximum Cartridge OAL

Oldguy44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Maximum Cartridge OAL

Post by Oldguy44 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:02 pm

I have an H010 45-70 that I absolutely love. I have been reloading 405 grain gas checked lead and 350 grain JRN for some time. Recently I ran into a situation with the jacketed round nose bullets that spooked me a little. Without getting into too much boring detail, does anyone know what the maximum overall cartridge length is that an H010 can digest? Most reloading guides suggest 2.550 but there are some loadings that result in a longer OAL.
Thanks
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Maximum Cartridge OAL

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 pm

One way you can find out as I find Henrys vary from model to model is build a dummy round with the length of the bullet you are looking at and see if it will cycle in your gun.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Yes as Al said they vary even in the same models as we have come to find out on our own.
Al and I have a 41 BBS each, and both were among the first 250 produced and ours are quite different.
Mine will cycle cartridges up to 1.69, and Al's won't.
Now my 44 BBB will only cycle rounds up to 1.63, wish it would cycle a longer round.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Al's suggestion is a solid one .... with our Henry 45-70 I load Nosler bullets and set the loading die to where the end of the case is in the bullet's crimp ring .... have done the same thing with several other brands and weights of bullets .... they've all performed as they should .... be sure to follow the link below and add your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p123393
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:14 am

Some round nose configurations (Hornady?) Can be a little long in some chambers.
I've bought a Hornady OAL gauge and a modified case for all the cartridges I reload. That way I can get measurements and have a better idea of what is happening.
OAL in lever gun is also dependent on how/if the round cycles thru the receiver.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:32 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:14 am
OAL in lever gun is also dependent on how/if the round cycles thru the receiver.
That's it, but why are the chambers deeper than what will cycle through the gun :?:
I can single load my BBB 44 mag with an OAL of 1.71, but the rifle will only rounds up to 1.63. :evil: :twisted:
Don't make any since, you know it has to affect accuracy,
as there's the gap from leaving the case to the jump before it hits the rifling.

Then you have the inconsistency in even the same firearm in same caliber.
Like I mentioned about Al and my 41's.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 am

Then you have the inconsistency in even the same firearm in same caliber.
Like I mentioned about Al and my 41's.
That's why an OAL gauge is handy.
I'm not altogether sure jam or jump in a Lever Gun (no turn chambers) is going to make a significant difference in accuracy. Statistically maybe.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Oldguy44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Oldguy44 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks guys for the comments. I actually have done exactly as suggested. Here's the back story: I was reloading with Hornady 350 Grn JRN and
IMR4064 making incremental increases but still well within the suggested loading guidelines. I noted that the last two rounds measured .030 longer than the suggested 2.550 max and 2.580 was all I could get as the bullet was compressing the powder. So I dropped them into the tube and cycled the first round which seemed to have an ever so slight drag, but that could have been me being hesitant. The second round cycled slick as snot. After some pondering on the subject however, I decided I didn't want to force a potential self inflicted bad result, so I took them apart and reduced the charge by a few grains to 55.5. That allowed the bullet to seat in the middle of the cannelure for an OAL of 2.550. Chicken I guess but safe. I think what pushed me over the cliff was that the case was right at the edge of the cannelure. In the future if I think I need more oomph I can switch powders to something like IMR4198.
Frank
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:34 pm

seemed to have an ever so slight drag, but that could have been me being hesitant
That slight drag could be the tip of the bullet hitting the top of the magtube as the lifter picks it up.
Check the bullet tip for marks.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Oldguy44 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm
Thanks guys for the comments. I actually have done exactly as suggested. Here's the back story: I was reloading with Hornady 350 Grn JRN and
IMR4064 making incremental increases but still well within the suggested loading guidelines. I noted that the last two rounds measured .030 longer than the suggested 2.550 max and 2.580 was all I could get as the bullet was compressing the powder. So I dropped them into the tube and cycled the first round which seemed to have an ever so slight drag, but that could have been me being hesitant. The second round cycled slick as snot. After some pondering on the subject however, I decided I didn't want to force a potential self inflicted bad result, so I took them apart and reduced the charge by a few grains to 55.5. That allowed the bullet to seat in the middle of the cannelure for an OAL of 2.550. Chicken I guess but safe. I think what pushed me over the cliff was that the case was right at the edge of the cannelure. In the future if I think I need more oomph I can switch powders to something like IMR4198.
Frank
Try some Reloader 7 I shoot that same bullet in mine with RL7 and it works great.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55