Drover
United States of America

Re: Federal gets into Lever gun Ammo

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:55 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 am
Vaquero wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 am
Wonder how many rounds pre box of the handgun cal.
If 20, not that great.

RP
20 round boxes as mentioned above. They have to pay for the R&D and the extra time machining the rims somehow, plus it is a fairly small niche market.

If a lever gun owner had a small hobby lathe he could EASILY duplicate these cases very quickly.

And he could make a decent business selling them I think. Tho the Federal patent might be a worry.... but can you even patent something as simple as a bevelled or chamfered rim?

John Davies
Spokane WA
Us .41 mag guys are in a niche of a niche. ;) The Few, The Proud, The .41Magsters. :lol:
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Right Gene,
If Henry was helping them with all this why the Hell did they leave us out??

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm
Right Gene,

RP
Profit margin ain't there. The popular ammo is where the money is. As always with everything. :roll: I've learned to live with it, but I've pretty much always marched to my own beat.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 pm
Profit margin ain't there. The popular ammo is where the money is. As always with everything. :roll: I've learned to live with it, but I've pretty much always marched to my own beat.
agree .... prior to introducing a new product they conduct market research to determine if the anticipated demand is sufficient to cover the expense of going into production and making a profit ..... per Henry's website, they offer 17 lines of rifles chambered for 44 Mag .... they offer 3 chambered for 41 Mag .... Federal does offer the 327 which Henry only offers in 3 lines so the volume of sales for those 3 lines probably comes into play
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Na you guys got it all wrong. Its the superiority of the 41mag. Us 41 mag guys dont need no fancy named bullet we can do it on our own.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:50 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Vaquero wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm
Right Gene,

RP
I understand, and probably why we own a 41 in the first place.
I buy VERY little factory ammo, that was why I took up reloading in the first place.
I never have to worry why, when or where will I find said desired ammo. :lol:

As to the 44, I really have no need for the Henry, I have a pair of 44 Rugers that I already have killed deer with.
And if I need a long shot and want to use a 44 cal. bullet, well I have a pair of 444's. :lol:

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:52 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:45 pm
Na you guys got it all wrong. Its the superiority of the 41mag. Us 41 mag guys dont need no fancy named bullet we can do it on our own.
Tell 'em again Al. :lol:

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:45 pm
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome. :D
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
agree .... prior to introducing a new product they conduct market research to determine if the anticipated demand is sufficient to cover the expense of going into production and making a profit ..... per Henry's website, they offer 17 lines of rifles chambered for 44 Mag .... they offer 3 chambered for 41 Mag .... Federal does offer the 327 which Henry only offers in 3 lines so the volume of sales for those 3 lines probably comes into play
Well that being said, didn't they just do all that said research and determine that there was a profitable market for that particular "rifle"?
Just like the 38-55, when was the last new made? Maybe Winchester has I don't know.
So if your Trying to sell these calibers, and you are working with an Ammunition co. to develop ammo for this types of rifles,
Why not include those in the mix? Even maybe a special run.
I would have to check to see how many companies that still make those two.
Know there are few for the 41 but have no idea about the 38-55.

Just my thoughts, not that it means that much, but
hey ain't that we are here for. :lol:

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm
JEBar wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Well that being said, didn't they just do all that said research and determine that there was a profitable market for that particular "rifle"?
Just like the 38-55, when was the last new made? Maybe Winchester has I don't know.
So if your Trying to sell these calibers, and you are working with an Ammunition co. to develop ammo for this types of rifles,
Why not include those in the mix? Even maybe a special run.
I would have to check to see how many companies that still make those two.
Know there are few for the 41 but have no idea about the 38-55.

Just my thoughts, not that it means that much, but
hey ain't that we are here for. :lol:

RP
Something you might not have thought of. Markets can be and are "manufactured" all the time. Look at the entire "technology" sector. 10 years ago there was exactly zero market for Twitter, etc. Now it's a giant market because a few billion people were persuaded that it's as necessary as air. Henry Ford understood this also. :)
1 x