Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Speed loader for 357 Big Boy

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Speed loader for 357 Big Boy

Post by MarkB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:20 pm

It will be a while before I can use them. My Henry CC .357 should ship next week.
0 x
NRA Benefactor, USCG '63-'67, GM-3, Fifth District

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MarkB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:23 pm

Update. I took another plug and I filed down the large ring on the front of the plug to remove it. Then I filed down the two smaller rings until I had a snug, but not tight, fit in the PEX tube. This allows the plug to retain the rounds in the tube but makes it easy to remove the plug by a quick twist and pull. I then cut the tabs off the plug at the other end of the tube (the plug that is permanently in the tube) so I would know which end to remove the plug from. The tabs on the modified plug give a grip "handle" to remove the plug.

Edit: Here are some photos of the mods. You can see the rings on the plug. I removed the front large ring and just filed enough of the two smaller rings to get a snug but not tight fit in the tube. You can also see how I removed the tabs from the permanent plug.

P1120170.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MarkB on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

gregw72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gregw72 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 am

MarkB wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:23 pm
Update. I took another plug and I filed down the large ring on the front of the plug to remove it. Then I filed down the two smaller rings until I had a snug, but not tight, fit in the PEX tube. This allows the plug to retain the rounds in the tube but makes it easy to remove the plug by a quick twist and pull. I then cut the tabs off the plug at the other end of the tube (the plug that is permanently in the tube) so I would know which end to remove the plug from. The tabs on the modified plug give a grip "handle" to remove the plug.
Good stuff. I was going down the expensive brass tubing route. How flexible is the 1/2" PEX? About like CPVC or more flexible? Are you able to slide it inside the magazine tube of the rifle?
0 x

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MarkB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 am

gregw72 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 am
MarkB wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:23 pm
Good stuff. I was going down the expensive brass tubing route. How flexible is the 1/2" PEX? About like CPVC or more flexible? Are you able to slide it inside the magazine tube of the rifle?
The PEX tubing is stiffly bendable but it will not kink and the rounds slide very good inside the tube. You don't have to worry about the tube bending in use. It is stiff but not rigid. I would not want to have a more flexible tube. CPVC should work but it would be more rigid. I had the PEX tubing on hand so I tried that and it worked fine. I paid $6.94 for a five pack of plugs at Home Depot. One pack and the tubing will give you two loaders. Two packs will give you five loaders. Remember you will need longer tubes for the rifle (10rounds). The 1/2" PEX tube will fit the .357 but I think it is too small for the .44/.45 rifles.

I can't answer about if the PEX tube will fit inside the mag tube of the rifle. My .357 CC carbine will arrive next week. I'm just getting ready for it. I think the PEX tube is too thick to fit into the mag tube of the rifle. That could be an advantage of the brass tube if you find the right diameter. Also the PEX tube will not bend, kink, or get dented like a brass tube.
Last edited by MarkB on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:31 am

Looks like it should work. We will be anxious to see how you like them once you get your rifle.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!
I'm glad you found a solution to your speed reload! I had the same issue with my rifle. I wanted to go the PVC route, however nothing was small enough for my 22.
I found a pack of reusable straws at work that did the trick! Each straw holds 10 rounds. I spray painted them black, and cut a earplug to glue at the bottom. Works like a charm! Plus at $2 a pack of 10, a total deal!!
2 x
I never take myself seriously....