disappointed with finish: new 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: disappointed with finish: new 38-55

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm

wbunning wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:08 pm
I am 72. I don't hunt anymore but am an avid shooter, reloader and caster. This will be a purely a recreational shooter.
also being 72 (a few weeks short of 73), well understood .... my boys tell me that my hunting days aren't over and I hope that's the case .... that said, I tend to believe my shooting from now on will be on a range of some sort
1 x

wbunning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wbunning » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 pm
Well, two outa three, um a what kinda Harley ya got?
I ride a Road king myself.
Would love to see the old picture, and then your rendition. ;)
I was thinking about a Henry in 38-55 a little, but
now I believe I will keep an eye out for one of the Marlin Cowboys. :o ;) ;)

RP
I don’t have a way to post a photo here, sorry. But I’m riding Beemers these days. I only had one Harley..back when AMF owned HD, so you know how that went.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am

wbunning wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 pm
I don’t have a way to post a photo here, sorry.
if you can take pictures and save them on a computer, posting pictures on this form is a very simple process .... should you be interested, send me a Private Message and I'll be happy to walk you through the process
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:25 pm

I tried to find a suitable Winchester in 38-55.. but it's the hen's tooth thing.
Ain't this the truth!

Winchesters in the 'other' calibers are out there but are getting real hard to find - and in good condition.

A few years ago I was looking for one in .25-35 and all I was finding was junk. I did find a nice one however but it was a carbine and I was looking for a 'rifle' with an octagon barrel.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:50 am

Nothing to loose by calling and asking.
wbunning wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:08 pm
After a long wait, I finally picked up my new side gate 38-55. I have 3 octagon barreled Henrys, and the blue is mirror like and smooth. This being my first round barrel, I was very disappointed in the finish of the barrel and mag tube. They seem quite rough compared to the smooth finishes on the octagons. As you run a fingernail down the length, one can feel the roughness, as though there was no polishing between turning the barrel and bluing. Maybe that's how the round barrels all are? Also, the lever is a bit sticky, but I'm sure that will break in with time. The stock is beautiful, though.

What do you guys say? Am I off-base in being disappointed or is this the norm for the round barreled rifles? Should I give Henry a call and gripe about it?Thanks for any enlightenment you can give.

Walt
Santa Maria, Ca
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Am I off-base in being disappointed or is this the norm for the round barreled rifles?
Well, unfortunately only you can answer this for yourself. I'm thinking this is something that began to 'nag' at you later after buying it.

Of the couple BBS rifles I have looked at I would say it is the norm as the finish on them is basically what you are describing on yours. I think i'd call it a 'matte' blue.

If you call them it will be interesting to hear what they say. I know what I would say but I'm not them. It's not like its a warrantable issue so they'll Probably buy you off with a box of freebies!

I understand completely however as I previously mentioned I too am dealing with a small gun dissatisfaction issue myself (non-Henry and not quality related)
0 x

wbunning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wbunning » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am

Ok. So I contacted a couple of other folks who have this rifle.. and that IS, in fact, the 'standard' finish. Apparently it is as others have said, the same as on the BBS rifles.

Also, I slugged the barrel, and it came in right at .376" for those who are interested.
Thank you all for your comments and assistance with this.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:44 pm

good to be able to move on .... now looking forward to range reports and use observations as you become better acquainted with your 38-55
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:51 pm

It's a good deer thumper that's for certain.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for wrapping up for us.
wbunning wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am
Ok. So I contacted a couple of other folks who have this rifle.. and that IS, in fact, the 'standard' finish. Apparently it is as others have said, the same as on the BBS rifles. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234