Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

disappointed with finish: new 38-55

wbunning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

disappointed with finish: new 38-55

Post by wbunning » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:08 pm

After a long wait, I finally picked up my new side gate 38-55. I have 3 octagon barreled Henrys, and the blue is mirror like and smooth. This being my first round barrel, I was very disappointed in the finish of the barrel and mag tube. They seem quite rough compared to the smooth finishes on the octagons. As you run a fingernail down the length, one can feel the roughness, as though there was no polishing between turning the barrel and bluing. Maybe that's how the round barrels all are? Also, the lever is a bit sticky, but I'm sure that will break in with time. The stock is beautiful, though.

What do you guys say? Am I off-base in being disappointed or is this the norm for the round barreled rifles? Should I give Henry a call and gripe about it?Thanks for any enlightenment you can give.

Walt
Santa Maria, Ca
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: disappointed with finish: new 38-55

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:25 pm

The barrel on my H001 is smooth and shiny. Give them a call. Let us know how you make out.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:34 pm

I haven't seen any of the sidegates in person, but
I will say that, that sounds a lot like the finish on the BBS's.
I was rather disappointed when I saw them the first time, and
still ain't crazy about it.
I'd rather have a true Blued finish like the BBB's, and my Marlin and Winchesters.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 pm

first, congrats on your new 38-55 .... have you fired it yet .. :?: .. what are your plans for it ..? .. only you can make the decision about the finish on your rifle .... if you should decide that you flat out don't want to keep it as is, your best bet is to call Henry .... please be sure to go back to our How Many ? thread and add it
1 x

PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PATOKARI » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:54 pm

I have a BBS 44M and I was also a bit let down after unboxing it. I love that matte black finish on the receiver but the barrel is not the smooth blued high gloss that other rifles have. Then I remembered that I contacted Anthony years ago begging for an option other than the high polished brass rifles because I use it to hunt with and I just couldn't imagine hunting with the highly reflective finishes. I had my BBS 44M for some time now and my worries about that the rough barrel might easily rust have passed. Never happened! Still looks great after a swift light clean up! A hunter couldn't ask for a better rifle! IF one wants the impressive high polish he should order one of them. Thanks to HRA for expanding their product lines!
1 x
HENRY! Hold it - Point it - Shoot It ; YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ONE FROM THERE ON!
BBS-44M, BBS-357M, SLA-3030

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Should I give Henry a call and gripe about it?
Well you can but I don't know what good it will do you.

When I saw my first BBS I was somewhat taken aside about the 'satin' blue finish on the one I looked at and the appearance is similar to what you are describing.

Shortcuts, cost savings, faster production you name it.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Like I said, I haven't seen one in person.
So your saying that the side gate barrels have the same finish as the BBS's?

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012

wbunning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wbunning » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks, folks, for all your sage replies.
I'll give Henry a call Monday and let them know that, whether this is 'standard' finish for this rifle or not, it's not what I expect from Henry.
I'll add my purchase to the 'count'
-walt

BBB 357
BBB 45 Colt
45-70
38-55 Side gate
1 x

wbunning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wbunning » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:08 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 pm
first, congrats on your new 38-55 .... have you fired it yet .. :?: .. what are your plans for it ..? .. only you can make the decision about the finish on your rifle .... if you should decide that you flat out don't want to keep it as is, your best bet is to call Henry .... please be sure to go back to our How Many ? thread and add it
I am 72. I don't hunt anymore but am an avid shooter, reloader and caster. This will be a purely a recreational shooter. A couple of years ago, I was handed down a 100+ y/o Ideal Tool Co reloading tool in 38-55. It originially belonged to a family member who, like me, was a hunter, shooter and motorcyclist. I have photos of Daniel with his early 1900's Indian, Winchester and the tool.The rifle he had may have actully been a Marlin..hard to tell in the old photos. I've recondidtioned the tool, given to me in sad shape, to usable condiditon and have cast bullets (.379") and created dummy rounds with. Since receiving the tool, it's been an ambiion of mine to re-create his photo. I tried to find a suitable Winchester in 38-55.. but it's the hen's tooth thing. Henry came through, and now I have the rifle to go with the reloading tool. I haven't slugged the barrel yet, but I'm expecting to find .376" as the groove diameter. I'll have to size the bullets coming out of the Ideal tool.
Last edited by wbunning on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Well, two outa three, um a what kinda Harley ya got?
I ride a Road king myself.
Would love to see the old picture, and then your rendition. ;)
I was thinking about a Henry in 38-55 a little, but
now I believe I will keep an eye out for one of the Marlin Cowboys. :o ;) ;)

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012