Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Got it today .. It broke :(

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Got it today .. It broke :(

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm

I have wanted a Henry Carbine for probably the last 7 years. Always something got in the way but we went ahead and did it this year and its a beauty. 16.5 inch octagon bbl with brass receiver. The thing is a work of art. It felt so damn good just to hold it and I liked the heft.

Picked it up this morning and after bring it home to give it a once over, read the manual and check that it feeds my wife and I ran out to the range. It was an indoor range but it was raining today and truth is I havent shot a rifle for some 9 years so I didnt need to go further than the 25 yds.

Guess the Army taught me well because it felt like I was shooting yesterday. The action for the first 2 rounds felt stiff but then instantly was smooth as silk and a real pleasure to use. I am older so there were no optics on my battle rifle so the sights worked just fine. I pulled a little to the right but here was my group after about 35 rds standing off hand .. no rest at 25 yds.

first henry target.jpg

I really sweated the tune loading but it was a non issue. Was easy breezy.

I loaded another mag full and then the gun spit out parts.

Henry extractor.JPG

It also left some chipping around the extractor area

Henry bolt.JPG

Now I am FAR from new to guns and work on my revolvers and Semi Autos but truth is .. I know very little about this rifle. is there a video some where that will help me put the parts back together? I would hate to send my new gun back already but.. is that the only answer or I void the warranty?

Lovely rifle and I am sure it will be fine and I seriously enjoyed shooting it while I could.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Got it today .. It broke :(

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:51 pm

first, nice shooting .... I well understand not wanting to send it back but it broke for a reason .... that reason needs to taken care and just putting it back together may not do so .... my best suggestion is call Henry immediately and give them the details .... then, follow whatever they recommend
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Sorry Alex, can't help you on the gun smithing, just wanted to say; nice shooting!
I can say though that Henry will make it right, if it comes to that.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hobart
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hobart » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Henry has great customer service. Contact them.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Yep, make the call and they will make it right.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Great shooting --- and what a heartbreak!

I could be wrong, but it looks like the two-part firing pin in the bolt has failed. Please call Henry, talk to CS, and get a shipping label. They will repair it and ship it back quickly.

Here is an up-to-date list of contacts (courtesy of Mags):
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5127
Alex wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm
...I know very little about this rifle. is there a video some where that will help me put the parts back together? I would hate to send my new gun back already but.. is that the only answer or I void the warranty?

Lovely rifle and I am sure it will be fine and I seriously enjoyed shooting it while I could.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Nice target. Henry will make it right. I wouldn't hesitate sending it back.
0 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Thank you all... I will give them a call and hope they can help me out. Hasnt spoiled me on the rifle .. it really was fun and everything I had hoped it would be. You just dont know when you buy something that you have never tried before and it was awesome.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:54 pm

You don't have to hope...they WILL correct it!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Due to the cosmetic damage to the bolt, Henry will no doubt replace it, as well. It may well be possible to simply swap out the entire bolt assembly, but I'd kinda want to know why it broke, so sending the rifle back to Henry is in order. They'll likely send you a bunch of Henry stuff for your trouble, too. Call 'em, there are good folks to talk to there.
1 x