Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Stuck Open H009 30 30

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Lever Stuck Open H009 30 30

Post by SD MEPPS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Took my new Henry HOO9 30-30 out deer hunting a few days ago. It was a long, cold sit. Temps were in the teens in central NY that day. When I was done hunting for the day I removed the magazine tube and three rounds came out. I wondered why the fourth didn't come out so I figured I could cycle the action to remove the last two rounds. I didn't reinstall the magazine tube. Upon cycling the action the chambered round ejected and the lever stuck in the open position. I could no longer cycle the action. I could then see the round that remained in the magazine was partially out as if it was going to cycle but it didn't. Thinking about what I did I figured that since the tube wasn't installed that attributed to the jam.
I drove home and upon researching this online I see it's a fairly common issue with lever guns. I proceeded to remove the screw for the lever and I was able to then easily remove that stuck round.
I then watched videos on how the bolt can now be removed since the lever has been removed. For some reason though this bolt won't come out of the gun. I wanted to remove it thinking I could more thoroughly clean the gun. Seems as if the bolt is in contact with the hammer too much and won't pull out completely.
I called Henry and they told me to try to remove the bolt by holding the flipping the gun over and pulling on the bolt. I tried that and still can't remove it. The gun cycles ammo fine though.
Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Does it sound like there is a problem? I guess tomorrow I'll take a different gun out deer hunting. I was told that I can send it in at no charge so I just might have to do that.

Thanks for any info and advice.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Lever Stuck Open H009 30 30

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:36 pm

I didn't reinstall the magazine tube.
Try this again and this time REINSTALL the mag tube.

I am thinking because you did not have the pressure from the spring in the tube on the rounds the last one was not pushed into the cartridge lift completely and became stuck.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 pm

SD MEPPS wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm
Took my new Henry HOO9 30-30 out deer hunting a few days ago. It was a long, cold sit. Temps were in the teens in central NY that day. When I was done hunting for the day I removed the magazine tube and three rounds came out. I wondered why the fourth didn't come out so I figured I could cycle the action to remove the last two rounds. I didn't reinstall the magazine tube. Upon cycling the action the chambered round ejected and the lever stuck in the open position. I could no longer cycle the action. I could then see the round that remained in the magazine was partially out as if it was going to cycle but it didn't. Thinking about what I did I figured that since the tube wasn't installed that attributed to the jam.
I drove home and upon researching this online I see it's a fairly common issue with lever guns. I proceeded to remove the screw for the lever and I was able to then easily remove that stuck round.
I then watched videos on how the bolt can now be removed since the lever has been removed. For some reason though this bolt won't come out of the gun. I wanted to remove it thinking I could more thoroughly clean the gun. Seems as if the bolt is in contact with the hammer too much and won't pull out completely.
I called Henry and they told me to try to remove the bolt by holding the flipping the gun over and pulling on the bolt. I tried that and still can't remove it. The gun cycles ammo fine though.
Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Does it sound like there is a problem? I guess tomorrow I'll take a different gun out deer hunting. I was told that I can send it in at no charge so I just might have to do that.

If you haven't watched the Henry Maintenance Video's for your H009 yet you should. There's 7 or 8 that cover everything you need to know about disassembly, assembly, lube, etc.

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... 009-h009b/
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 pm
SD MEPPS wrote:

If you haven't watched the Henry Maintenance Video's for your H009 yet you should. There's 7 or 8 that cover everything you need to know about disassembly, assembly, lube, etc.

Thank you. I was unaware these videos existed. Just what I needed.

0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm

What Mistered said for getting it unjammed.
As far as bolt removal, it won't slide out of the rifle entirely until the trigger assembly, the locking bolt and carrier are removed.
Details in Henry's disassembly video here https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... 009-h009b/

30-30 Trigger Assy.JPG
30-30 Locking Bolt.JPG
30-30 Carrier.JPG
SD MEPPS wrote:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm
What Mistered said for getting it unjammed.
As far as bolt removal, it won't slide out of the rifle entirely until the trigger assembly, the locking bolt and carrier are removed.
Details in Henry's disassembly video here https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... 009-h009b/

30-30 Trigger Assy.JPG30-30 Locking Bolt.JPG30-30 Carrier.JPG
SD MEPPS wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I was searching youtube for videos on stuck lever, etc...Great info!
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:26 pm

SD MEPPS wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 pm
ny info and advice.

Thank you. I was unaware these videos existed. Just what I needed.
Forgot to mention that all Henry centerfires will rub on the hammer during bolt removal. Normally all you need to do is hold the hammer down tight with one finger, while holding the rifle with your other hand, and with your 3rd hand pull the bolt out. Might need to wiggle the bolt some. ;)
4 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 pm

SD MEPPS wrote:
I then watched videos on how the bolt can now be removed since the lever has been removed. For some reason though this bolt won't come out of the gun . . . Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Does it sound like there is a problem? . . I was told that I can send it in at no charge so I just might have to do that.
Sorry about your situation. I remove my bolt for every cleaning. I just remove the lever and pull the bolt out. I typically have the lever cocked midway. The bolt may be touching the hammer by then. Then, I remove the lever and pull the bolt out. You may have to hold the hammer down while pulling the bolt out. After removing the ejector spring, I clean the gun. I install everything in reverse order. I am surprise the bolt does not come out if you can cycle it. Is the breech open while you remove the lever?
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:38 pm

The same thing happens to me when I forget to put the mag tube back in my Golden Boy 22LR after unloading. There will be one round in the chamber and one stuck in the bottom of the magazine.
Last edited by deano5150 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:02 am

It doesn't in the .30-30. The pieces shown in the earlier above have to come out first.
GFK wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 pm
... I just remove the lever and pull the bolt out. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234