Henry newbie with 45-70 questions

ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Re: Henry newbie with 45-70 questions

Post by ironbrew » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm
An earlier version of Henry lever actions (circa pre-2015?) came with a XS ghost ring peep sights, I have such a 30-30 that I found on a clearance rack, and I think I know where a 45-70 in that configuration is still in the rack. You might find one with a little searching. Those models also had the integral barrel band front sight; I like the current sight better, and may soon send my band off to Skinner to modify it for a dovetail front sight. I should also add that I did need to replace the lever on mine, due to it's "popping", of course, Henry sent me a new lever within a couple of days when I talked to them about it. Good luck with your soon to be yours Henry ;) .
What do you mean "popping"? I notice my lever is a little loose, but I didn't see any functional issue with it. I've already thought about a shim on each side to take care of that. Not sure it needs taking care of though. I'll use it a bit and see...
0 x

ironbrew
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by ironbrew » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Redthies wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 am
I’m pretty sure Henry didn’t change the hole spacing on the receiver when they added the side gate, so anything that fits the standard models <should > fit the SG models. A quick call to the mothership should clear that up.

I’m in BC as well, and have a JM 1895GS as my griz gun. I mounted a RPP Cloverleaf peep on it. Skinner sights are fantastic as well, and I have an Express on my .357 and SGC. YOu can just unscrew the aperture from the Skinner and what you are left with is essentially a ghost ring.

Not that any of this matters since it is now illegal here to shoot a griz, so you will just have to hold still while he eats you. Try not to squirm too much!
Working in the bush in BC was the deciding factor on me getting a 45-70. Getting hunted by a griz is not fun. Definitely gives an adrenaline rush though...
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:28 am

I just sold my Marlin .45-70 and replaced it with a Winchester 101 for upland hunting. I have an excuse to buy a Henry .45-70 now. The all weather with the 18.4” barrel would work. It will need the bigger loop off an X model though. My hands don’t like the reverse curve levers found on most pistol grip guns.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Ironbrew,
With some of the early Henry lever actions, the lever could "pop" loose (drop a quarter inch or so) when the magazine was fully loaded, and you'd have to eject a round to close it. It was caused by the design of the head of the lever. Henry had redesigned the lever to fix that issue, however, the one I bought needed that upgrade (It's an early centerfire made in 'Jersy, before the production was shifted to Rice Lake), the new lever cured it completely.
0 x