Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger 6.5 CRD My First Henry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger 6.5 CRD My First Henry

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:06 am

Congrats! Looking forward to your range result followup!
kamml wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 am
I just realized i had not told ya'll that i received the rifle from the LGS on Thursday. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Well I now have the 6.5 ammunition, and I mounted the bases and the rings to the Long Ranger this weekend. I hope to get it up the range Friday morning. Fingers are crossed. The scope should be in tomorrow. I am putting a new Leopold Tactical on it. Hopefully it will be on time. I am sighting in a TC Strike at the same time. It's black powder season here in TN. I've been running behind because my family moved into a new house back the end of August and have not caught up yet with sorting out and putting my hobby stuff away. I hope to get out hunting with the TC Strike Friday afternoon after lunch. One week from Saturday TN rifle season opens, I will be ready to go. I planned on hunting with my Marlin 35 Rem until I saw the Henry 6.5 CRD. Ahh young love.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 pm

👍. A Henry will do that to you.
kamml wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:46 pm
... I planned on hunting with my Marlin 35 Rem until I saw the Henry 6.5 CRD. Ahh young love.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Well I got it to the range on Friday like I planned. For some reason the brand new Leopold scope will not center with the rifle. I've got to play with it and see if I can get it right. I used a collimater to center the cross hairs first but it still shot quite a bit to the right. The elevation was perfect. The 8 shots I took with it told me it has good precision. Despite being unable to center on the bull the bullets grouped very well, with 5 of the 8 overlapping. The trigger pull is quite stiff and makes it difficult to squeeze the trigger, but when it breaks its like glass snapping. I was using Hornady American Gunner 140 gr. ammo. The lever action is manly, I mean you have to rack it like you mean it. But I am sure that's because it is new. Some use will loosen it up quite nicely I am sure. I am pleased with the rifle, I am still working on the scope.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:24 pm

Otherwise risk a bullet nose up jam in the receiver.
kamml wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 pm
... The lever action is manly, I mean you have to rack it like you mean it. ...
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:30 pm

I haven't noticed the trigger being overly stiff on mine. But it does break 'suddenly'.
kamml wrote:
... The trigger pull is quite stiff and makes it difficult to squeeze the trigger, but when it breaks its like glass snapping. ...
Last edited by Mags on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:29 pm

The trigger in my Weatherby (Howa action) has a glass break like trigger, but it breaks about 2.75 lbs and its always a surprise. I am sure the Henry will lighten up with more use. I am going to change out the scope mounts from medium height to low, take off the Skinner mounts replace them with the Tally, then I will numerically center the cross hairs, remount and take it back to the range. I am hoping I don't have to send the scope into Leopold. The Henry is a fine piece and I am happy to have added it to my battery.

On another note I shot the black powder TC Strike for the first time when I took the Henry to the range. I am very pleased with its performance. I sighted in with only 5 shots. I am shooting a 250gr. TMZ using 100gr volume of BH209. I mounted a Nikon BDC Shotgun scope on the rifle and it worked very well. I zeroed in with the cross hairs at 50yds and and was right in the 6" diamond target just right of center at 100 yds. with the first shot using the first circle on the reticle. I used my BH209 Encore loads from last year that i had measured out and kept in my BP box over the summer. I had been told that BH209 stores well. I have to agree the first shots with the old loads were no trouble igniting. But the 50 cal surprised me with its recoil, it does this every year. Its a banger.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Did you buy the sighted or unsighted version of the Long Ranger? If sighted I'd be curious to know how it shoots using the sights it came with.
kamml wrote:
... For some reason the brand new Leopold scope will not center with the rifle. ...
0 x

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm

My came without sights, Sorry i can't help you with your question. I am sure their are others that may be able to help with the irons.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:12 pm

My curiosity was specific to your Long Ranger. Like does it shoot straight with iron sights. Moot since yours doesn't have them.
kamml wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm
My came without sights, Sorry i can't help you with your question. I am sure their are others that may be able to help with the irons.
0 x