Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger 6.5 CRD My First Henry

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger 6.5 CRD My First Henry

Post by kamml » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am

I just ordered a Long Ranger 6.5 yesterday and am looking forward to my first Henry rifle. I have been a Marlin owner for over 30 years, with a JM 30-30, 35, and a 444, but the recent Remlin problems have soured me on a new one. I have been hankerin to buy a Henry for a while now, so when I read the great reviews on the Long Ranger 6.5 recently I thought I should finally take the plunge. I chose the 6.5 since I have the reloading equipment and I enjoy the low recoil. I am a little worried right now though about the trigger pull, I like a 3lb pull on my hunting rifles. I hope mine is some where close to that. Is there any information on the web on how to rework the trigger for a lower pull weight?

Its good to be a Henry owner! :mrgreen:
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger 6.5 CRD My First Henry

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us and congratulations on your new Long Ranger. When you finally get it, please consider adding yours to our running tally of Henrys here:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 14#p111214

We have several members with Long Rangers, so I expect you'll be getting some advice about the trigger shortly.
kamml wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am
I just ordered a Long Ranger 6.5 yesterday and am looking forward to my first Henry rifle... Its good to be a Henry owner! :mrgreen:
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:57 am

First welcome to the forum glad you joined us. There is one other member here who has that rifle and has it shooting very well. Ive not seen any news on the trigger of that model but there probably is some out there.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:55 am

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join our forum .... please to follow CT's link above and add your 6.5 to our community's total .... the Long Ranger is patterned after Browning's BLR .... with the complexity of the gearing in the receiver, I don't know how much can be done to a Long Ranger's trigger pull by the average owner or even by a non Browning trained gunsmith .... I do know that with our BLR the trigger took a while to smooth in
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
I haven't seen any of us Long Ranger owners share any trigger work here.
Take a look at the HenryUSA disassembly maintenance video for the Long Ranger. https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... ng-ranger/ About 5:33, might give you an idea what/where to tackle for modifying trigger pull. There is a warning note in the video that advises against messing with the gear timing. Just so you're aware of that.
kamml wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am
I just ordered a Long Ranger 6.5 yesterday and am looking forward to my first Henry rifle. I have been a Marlin owner for over 30 years, with a JM 30-30, 35, and a 444, but the recent Remlin problems have soured me on a new one. I have been hankerin to buy a Henry for a while now, so when I read the great reviews on the Long Ranger 6.5 recently I thought I should finally take the plunge. I chose the 6.5 since I have the reloading equipment and I enjoy the low recoil. I am a little worried right now though about the trigger pull, I like a 3lb pull on my hunting rifles. I hope mine is some where close to that. Is there any information on the web on how to rework the trigger for a lower pull weight?

Its good to be a Henry owner! :mrgreen:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Zaphod
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Zaphod » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 pm

Welcome!

I plan on ordering a Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoor soon, so we can share stories & tips.
1 x

Me78569
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Me78569 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:32 pm

Mines been great so far. I really enjoy it as a mountain gun, it's a bit heavy for trucking up a mountain side, but I like that there is no bolt to get stuck on tree's etc.
0 x

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 am

I put my trigger pull gauge on the Long Ranger yesterday. It is a little stiff at 6 lbs. I am hoping it will wear in to be a little lighter. It is very crisp with no let off, but to strong for a hunting rifle for me. Its going to the range this morning for the initial sight in. This will be fun. More to follow.
1 x

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 am

I just realized i had not told ya'll that i received the rifle from the LGS on Thursday. Its a beauty, furniture is well figured and the assembly tolerances are perfect. The machining is very good too. Fit and finish wise I am pleased. The trigger pull is stiff but I hope that will work in a little too and lighten up with use. With rifle season three weeks away in TN its to late to send it back in for rework. I will be shooting Hornady American Gunner 149 g. today for site in and then I have a box of Hornady American Hunter 129 gr. and a box SB 120 gr. just to try. Though I have read that the HAG is almost match quality by itself. I will report later today on the LR performance at the range.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 am

Congraats on getting the rifle hope it lives up to your expectations at the range. If I had one Id be curious about the Barnes TTSX ammo and the Gorilla ammo in it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55