Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AW Big Boy .357 Broken Locking Bolt

jdm2691
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: AW Big Boy .357 Broken Locking Bolt

Post by jdm2691 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Thanks for the link Deano5150, it looks like each of the parts broke in the same place -

attachment=0]10-26-19 001 (800x600).jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Reality being what it is this is a MIM part. In itself this is not a bad thing - it's just modern manufacturing to keep costs down but the fact remains it is a cast part.
Actually I was pretty impressed with the quality of the MIM parts when I tore my BBB down. They looked solid and fit well - not like MIM back in 'the day'!
MIM has come a long way and I am sure Henry demands the highest quality of whoever is making their MIM parts. Like with anything quality varies and with MIM it is essential ridged quality control is maintained,
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:05 pm

adding...
MIM parts are cast, then rebaked to the melting point to give them a hard outer shell that wears well friction-wise. The parts are brittle inside and more likely to break over time at stress points from repeated bending/torquing/shock than machined parts.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jdm2691
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jdm2691 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:30 pm

The rifle came back today - very quick turn time, under 2 weeks. I never spoke to a CSR, just filled out the online form and shipped it off. The return form was a one liner, replaced locking bolt and firing pin. I would imagine Henry tracks return reasons closely so if the locking bolt is a recurring issue I'm sure they will rectify it and we would probably never know. Anyway, solid warranty experience just as others have said it would be. I'll return to this thread if anything related pops up but for now it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks to everyone for their comment's and observations.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Henry's excellent support after the sale comes a no surprise .... its actually anticipated .... that said, its always good to hear .... looking forward to your reports after being able to give your 357 a good workout
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Pleasure to read it's fixed and you have it back!
jdm2691 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:30 pm
The rifle came back today - very quick turn time, under 2 weeks. I never spoke to a CSR, just filled out the online form and shipped it off. The return form was a one liner, replaced locking bolt and firing pin. I would imagine Henry tracks return reasons closely so if the locking bolt is a recurring issue I'm sure they will rectify it and we would probably never know. Anyway, solid warranty experience just as others have said it would be. I'll return to this thread if anything related pops up but for now it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks to everyone for their comment's and observations.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234