Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

forearm removal/installation

jims
Tenderfoot
United States of America

forearm removal/installation

Post by jims » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:12 am

I want to remove the forearm on a 45-70 Henry H010B. It is a late model rifle. After removal I want to then replace it with another. Henry sent me some instructions they had but am unsure about the dovetail issue.

Any help anyone could give that has done this or a video site showing the same would be appreciated. Thanks
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: forearm removal/installation

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:11 am

first, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join our forum .... I've never had a need to remove any wood from our CCH 45-70, so I'm looking forward to the info you will receive in this thread .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry rifle(s) to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p110380
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:32 am

Welcome from Alberta.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. You will likely get an answer to your question(s) about the process, including your concerns about the dovetail by calling Henry CS and asking them. Let us know how you make out.

Here is a link to an up-to-date list of Henry contacts you might find helpful:

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 127#p70193
jims wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:12 am
I want to remove the forearm on a 45-70 Henry H010B. It is a late model rifle. After removal I want to then replace it with another. Henry sent me some instructions they had but am unsure about the dovetail issue.

Any help anyone could give that has done this or a video site showing the same would be appreciated. Thanks
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Welcome from Western North Carolina. Good luck with your findings. I need to remove one eventually on my BBS 357. It is slightly loose and Henry sent me a replacement a while back. Hoping the process is similar.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Welcome to the forum!

From the back of your .45-70 User manual, it looks like there are 2 screws through the brass forearm cap that hold the forearm in place. Remove those, remove the cap and forearm. Reverse to put the new forearm on. You didn't provide any information about what the dovetail issue is, so can't advise on that until you share more about it.
jims wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:12 am

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jims
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jims » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

I will try to be more specific. I removed the magazine inner tube. I removed the small blued screws holding the brass forearm cap. I was hoping I could then just slide the wood forearm off but just in front of it are two flat steel projections that do not permit the forearm to advance far enough forward to remove. Henry said to take a small brass punch (which I have) to drive out from beneath the dovetail on the barrel from left to right or towards the ejection side of the receiver and then carefully spread the larger magazine tube to remove the forearm. Paraphrasing a bit.
I do not see an actual place to drift out with the brass punch and hesitant to spread the magazine tube. Hoping there was a video on this process. I would hope enough forearms have been removed/replaced that there is a simple process. I do not want to damage anything so I have stopped hopefully awaiting some guidance. Thanks all for responding.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 pm

jims wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm
I will try to be more specific. I removed the magazine inner tube. I removed the small blued screws holding the brass forearm cap. I was hoping I could then just slide the wood forearm off but just in front of it are two flat steel projections that do not permit the forearm to advance far enough forward to remove. Henry said to take a small brass punch (which I have) to drive out from beneath the dovetail on the barrel from left to right or towards the ejection side of the receiver and then carefully spread the larger magazine tube to remove the forearm. Paraphrasing a bit.
I do not see an actual place to drift out with the brass punch and hesitant to spread the magazine tube. Hoping there was a video on this process. I would hope enough forearms have been removed/replaced that there is a simple process. I do not want to damage anything so I have stopped hopefully awaiting some guidance. Thanks all for responding.
FWIW...call it moral support, but if you are just being cautious, kudos to you for waiting. Hope you get the proper guidance to achieve your goal!
I've always said, when in doubt...don't.
Wish I could be of more help. :?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 pm

Thanks, got it. This is the part I believe you need to remove (cap support). Yes the top dovetails into the underside of the barrel while the underside straddles the top of the outer mag tube.
45-70 Forearm Cap Support.JPG

To get this part out you have to first push in a couple of small wedges or similar, either side and in between the bottom of the barrel and the top of the mag tube, just enough, so that the curvature of the cap support will clear the top of the mag tube as you tap the cap support out.

Example of a wedge. These are very small tile wedges you can get at Home Depot. About 2 inches long and 1/4 at the heal.
tile wedges.jpg
jims wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm
(4300)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:10 am

Same deal on the BBS carbine. May need to do that to further tighten the sometimes loose forearm on my .44 Mag.
Thanks for the tip Mags!
And a big welcome from Va. to "jims"
0 x