Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger H014S scope mounting

C Haden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger H014S scope mounting

Post by C Haden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:44 am

I thought about putting this in the scopes and sights forum, but since my question is specific to this one rifle, I thought it might gather more responses here...?

I recently picked up a Long Ranger H014S-308. From reading some early, online reviews, I wrongly assumed it would include the Skinner, two-piece weaver bases. After opening the box, and following a quick chat with Allison at Henry CS, I re-learned the old addage about assuming.

Anyway, I quickly ordered the Skinner bases, and they'll be here Monday. My (possible) problem is that I'm going to mount a Leupold European 1.25-4x, which is a short, 30mm tube. Given the relatively close mounting points on the receiver, I'm a bit worried that I won't have enough play to position the scope correctly for eye relief. I've already got some Warne QD rings for it, so somewhat limited to weaver/picatinny bases.

I'm not a fan of putting a picatinny rail on a lever gun, purely for aesthetic reasons, but options seem limited. I've looked at the Talley rail, EGW, and Skinner. Haven't found any other weaver options besides the Skinner two-piece. Am I missing any??
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger H014S scope mounting

Post by wingnut » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 pm

1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:59 pm

I was fortunate when I bought my sighted LR that it was still shipping with the Skinner two piece mount. I initially didn't want to use them and went looking for a one piece. I came up empty handed as well. I went ahead and used the Skinners and came away liking them a lot. Especially when I realized they are a lower profile than the usual one piece mount. I was able to get the scope as low as possible where it just cleared the barrel and hammer.

Then as wingnut shared there is the two piece rings that don't require a separate mount, mounting directly on the receiver.
C Haden wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:44 am
I thought about putting this in the scopes and sights forum, but since my question is specific to this one rifle, I thought it might gather more responses here...?

I recently picked up a Long Ranger H014S-308. From reading some early, online reviews, I wrongly assumed it would include the Skinner, two-piece weaver bases. After opening the box, and following a quick chat with Allison at Henry CS, I re-learned the old addage about assuming.

Anyway, I quickly ordered the Skinner bases, and they'll be here Monday. My (possible) problem is that I'm going to mount a Leupold European 1.25-4x, which is a short, 30mm tube. Given the relatively close mounting points on the receiver, I'm a bit worried that I won't have enough play to position the scope correctly for eye relief. I've already got some Warne QD rings for it, so somewhat limited to weaver/picatinny bases.

I'm not a fan of putting a picatinny rail on a lever gun, purely for aesthetic reasons, but options seem limited. I've looked at the Talley rail, EGW, and Skinner. Haven't found any other weaver options besides the Skinner two-piece. Am I missing any??
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

C Haden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by C Haden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:58 pm

wingnut wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 pm
Might 1 of these work for you:

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/pro ... h010-h014/
Thanks, wingnut. I'd actually seen these previously, and just left them out of my "options" list. I'm afraid these would suffer the same disadvantage as the Skinner two-piece. Just don't allow for much wiggle room for moving the scope forward or back. The problem with a short tube; you can't move it too far before the turrets interfere. Just have to hope it's acceptable once I get the bases and get the scope mounted. May just have to use a rail.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:39 pm

This how my Leupold scope mounts. The turret is all the way forward. Wish I had been able to move it forward another 1/4 inch or so. The eye relief I got was initially questionable, but I've adapted. I can shoot all day without discomfort or badly place shots. To move the forward ring out I'd have to use a thicker/higher mount that cantilevers over the hump at the front of the receiver. This Henry mount (by Talley) does that, but then my scope ends up mounted too high. Two versions.
https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 3736093721
https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/henry-h014/
20190429_175927cr.jpg
C Haden wrote:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

C Haden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by C Haden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:39 pm
This how my Leupold scope mounts. The turret is all the way forward. Wish I had been able to move it forward another 1/4 inch or so. The eye relief I got was initially questionable, but I've adapted. I can shoot all day without discomfort or badly place shots. To move the forward ring out I'd have to use a thicker/higher mount that cantilevers over the hump at the front of the receiver. This Henry mount (by Talley) does that, but then my scope ends up mounted too high. Two versions.
https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 3736093721
https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/henry-h014/
20190429_175927cr.jpg
C Haden wrote:
I know the Skinner mounts have the rail/bolt cuts off center. Is there room behind the receiver hump to turn the front one either direction?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 pm

In the mounts I have they're centered. There is 0.4 inches from the edge of the forward mount to the beginning of the curve leading to the receiver hump.
20191020_145343.jpg
C Haden wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 pm
... I know the Skinner mounts have the rail/bolt cuts off center. Is there room behind the receiver hump to turn the front one either direction?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

C Haden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by C Haden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks, Mags.
Went back to Skinner's website, and the cuts do look centered in their pics. Not sure where I saw the pic that made me think otherwise. We'll see (hopefully tomorrow evening) how they'll work with my scope.
Mags wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 pm
In the mounts I have they're centered. There is 0.4 inches from the edge of the forward mount to the beginning of the curve leading to the receiver hump.
20191020_145343.jpg
C Haden wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 pm
... I know the Skinner mounts have the rail/bolt cuts off center. Is there room behind the receiver hump to turn the front one either direction?
Last edited by C Haden on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:57 pm

You're Welcome. Glad to assist.
C Haden wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:48 pm
Thanks, Mags.
Went back to Sinner's website, and the cuts do look centered in their pics. Not sure where I saw the pic that made me think otherwise. We'll see (hopefully tomorrow evening) how they'll work with my scope.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 am

C Haden wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:58 pm
wingnut wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 pm
Might 1 of these work for you:

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/pro ... h010-h014/
Thanks, wingnut. I'd actually seen these previously, and just left them out of my "options" list. I'm afraid these would suffer the same disadvantage as the Skinner two-piece. Just don't allow for much wiggle room for moving the scope forward or back. The problem with a short tube; you can't move it too far before the turrets interfere. Just have to hope it's acceptable once I get the bases and get the scope mounted. May just have to use a rail.
IIRC, the front "ring" can be rotated 180* so the turret can be moved forward a tad, if needed.
Good luck.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob