Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long ranger 308 not grouping

plscoggin
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Long ranger 308 not grouping

Post by plscoggin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:56 am

Henry finally replied & said they replaced the barrel, cracked forearm & cracked butt stock... however, since then, I’ve traded the gun for something that I can trust.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:27 am

I hope that whatever you have now will serve you well and if/when it should need factory support, that it will be there
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Sad. I think you gave up on it too soon. Henry really does stand behind their products. Even if for some reason the repairs didn't entirely fix to your satisfaction, you had other options including a full refund or exchange for a new rifle. Would be interesting to hear from the new owner you traded with thinks of the repaired rifle.
plscoggin wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:56 am
Henry finally replied & said they replaced the barrel, cracked forearm & cracked butt stock... however, since then, I’ve traded the gun for something that I can trust.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 pm

or exchange for a new rifle.
Seems like this is what the OP did - but for probably something other than another Henry.
Sometimes one feels the need to 'wash their hands' of something and replace it with something entirely different when continued dissatisfaction is experienced. Heck I have done it myself. It doesn't necessarily need to be something new either. Kind of like Winchester with me. I can easily put greater confidence in a 50 year old Mod 94 over many 'new' guns I have looked at.

For me It's all a matter of classical interpretation and appreciation.
As I type this Winchester Mod 94, Ser # 149XXX sits in my lap and is as smooth (or smoother) as anything new and accurate as well.
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:28 pm

In retrospect maybe the barrel was over bored or the rifling was too shallow and would not stabilize the bullet. Maybe sluggng the barrel might have revealed some dimension issues. Henry button rifles their barrels and possibly the tooling was past its precision thresholds. The fact they replaced the barrel makes me wonder. I have a couple of Henry's and one is single shot 44 mag and I was surprised how shallow the rifling is. It shoots fine and groups well so it does not appear to be a problem.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:58 pm

PJM wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:28 pm
I have a couple of Henry's and one is single shot 44 mag and I was surprised how shallow the rifling is. It shoots fine and groups well so it does not appear to be a problem.
Marlin made a big deal out of "micro groove rifling" .... once I establish mine shoot fine and groups well, nothing else matters and I tend to happily move on to thinking about something else .... :D
0 x

Spin Dr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Spin Dr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Sorry you had the issue. For future reference, barrel break in may be an option... This is a whole 'nuther discussion - and I haven't always been a believer, but it worked for my .338 MARLIN, MXLR. Groups shrank from 4" to 1.5" in a single morning. The task was exhausting but I was on the edge of selling and getting on with my life, but for whatever reason, I tried breaking in the barrel. It worked. 2" @200 yards is not at all unusual.

Given the sequence of events for Marlin and specifically the 338, I'm glad I kept it. She's worth quite a ransom now.

All this to say, lapping the barrel or a comprehensive break in session may make a world of difference.

Spin Dr
1 x