Got my Big Boy Steel 41 Mag Carbine today

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Got my Big Boy Steel 41 Mag Carbine today

Post by markiver54 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:31 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:13 pm
YA you can stand there and shove rounds in your sidegate and if you dont get them in there just right they exit back out and fall on the ground. Then you can bend over and pick them up out of the dirt with your bloody thumb that you just cut open from trying to shove a round in just right and you cut it on the side gate.
EXACTLY! :D I also think my agility is good enough to not spill my ammo.
Don't want to scar up my receiver either. Mine isn't even brass...I can only imagine after years of use. :?
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Hold on a second, let me grab some tea.
I be right back... this is gettin interestin. :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Never mind it's after 12. :lol:

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:57 pm

The fact is MOST longterm, lever action rifle owners want a side gate as they believe it is part of a 'traditional' lever action rifle and will not buy a Henry because of them not having one. I read it often on other forums.
New lever action rifle owners who had no experience with levers at all had nothing to compare it with so the load tube was not a detractor.
Then there are those who are long term lever owners and bought a Henry out of curiosity, something new etc. and didn't make the load tube an issue - like me.
As I maintain however the load tube has an advantage with shorter, pistol caliber rounds but a side gate favors the longer, rifle rounds.
and if you dont get them in there just right they exit back out and fall on the ground.
The trick with a load gate is to adjust the spring to where when you insert a round it 'sticks' in the gate then you push the next round in pushing the front round forward into the tube then only on the last round do you push it in past the gate where the gate closes.
Don't want to scar up my receiver either. Mine isn't even brass...I can only imagine after years of use.
I have, and have had Winchesters with years of use and LOTS of side gate loading with nary a mark on the receiver.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Ed, I think you pretty well summed it up in that post.
Myself I own Henry, Marlin, Rossi and Winchesters, I like them all for what they are.
Can't remember ever getting a finger cut on a loading gate, and have never been in a fire fight with one so as to need a quick load.
I do understand that the tube can fall out or even get bent.
But I'm not in a rush when at the shooting bench, of course all mine are private so I don't have to worry about anyone else.
And when I'm out hunting I have never used more than what rounds were in the firearm.
I mean even calling coyotes if you're lucky enough to see more than one at a time, once you squeeze off the first round you're going to be doing good the get off a couple good shots before they are gone.
Even in a big ole wide open field.

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:13 pm

My thinking is Henry started out building side gates in rifle calibers because I believe the biggest share of complaints about the tube load is from those who own rifle caliber Henrys.
Can't remember ever getting a finger cut on a loading gate
Not only do I not remember as well but it has never happened to me.
I will admit to owning one Winchester where the gate was not properly finished on the inside forward edge and when closed with a round in the tube is difficult to push in but this is an easy fix I have to get to 'one of these days' !
1 x

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:25 pm

I spent a lot of years using Marlin lever actions... bear hunting mostly, with an 1895 and 336.

I haven't cut myself loading them.... but I have had some trouble getting rounds into the tube through the gate.... the 30-30 was worse than the 45-70 but it happened with both.

I've also had the rifle get jammed on a couple of occasions because the loading gate screw got loose.

Both systems have their ups and downs... but I prefer the tube...less parts, more reliable.
5 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Haven't had the pleasure of that happening (yet).
BigAl52 wrote:
YA you can stand there and shove rounds in your sidegate and if you dont get them in there just right they exit back out and fall on the ground. Then you can bend over and pick them up out of the dirt with your bloody thumb that you just cut open from trying to shove a round in just right and you cut it on the side gate.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 pm
Haven't had the pleasure of that happening (yet).
BigAl52 wrote:
And I've not had the ' misfortune ' of a tube spilling yet. :D
Tit for tat...no biggie. I understand the thinking of traditionalists.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Hey, hey no name calling :roll: :lol:
markiver54 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:41 pm
... I understand the thinking of traditionalists.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234