Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Metal Split

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Magazine Tube Metal Split

Post by Pitchman1968 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am

I am curious if anyone has experienced this problem - - I have BBB .44 Mag rifle which I bought new in 2015, and I have fired approximately 1,000 hand loaded rounds through it. My handloads consist of 250 gr Bear Tooth hard cast lead, gas checked bullets over 16 grs of Accurate #9 powder. This is an ideal Whitetail hunting cartridge up here in central Massachusetts where, in our hardwood forests, the normal shot is no longer than 75 yards. Last week at the range, I fired 18 rounds sighting in a Skinner Express peep sight I recently installed.

When cleaning the rifle, I noticed an 8mm crack in the thin metal at the top of the outer magazine tube where inner magazine tubes locks into the outer tube. I immediately called Henry's warranty department and their service rep said she has never before encountered this defect. The rifle is now in transit back to Henry's repair facility for repacement of the outer tube. Please let me know if you have ever had this problem. Thanks!
0 x

Jimi
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Metal Split

Post by Jimi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:31 am

Had that on a new .45/70 . It apparently happened on test fire. When I got it home
I couldn’t remove the mag follower rod without using pliers. Henry sent a new rod, but didn’t help. I took it back to Cabelas.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:01 am

It's always disappointing, but metal fatigue and manufacturing defects will happen with any product. The good news is that yours is a Henry rifle. HRA will repair it and make certain that you're satisfied with it for the life of the rifle. Your particular CS rep may never have heard of the condition, but Henry has certainly dealt with similar issues. They will turn it around quickly. Please keep us posted.
Pitchman1968 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am
The rifle is now in transit back to Henry's repair facility for replacement of the outer tube.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:15 pm

and their service rep said she has never before encountered this defect.
Thats odd considering a few on this forum have experienced the same problem

Should have just had them send you a new tube. Its about a 10 minute job to replace it.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Pitchman1968 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am
I am curious if anyone has experienced this problem - - I have BBB .44 Mag rifle which I bought new in 2015, and I have fired approximately 1,000 hand loaded rounds through it
did it look something like he one below .. :?: .. ours split last December .... Henry repaired and returned it .... has worked perfectly every since
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 am

The split on my rifle looks exactly like the one in your picture, Thanks
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:25 am

Pitchman1968 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 am
The split on my rifle looks exactly like the one in your picture, Thanks
should ours ever have the same failure again or the failure of most every other part, I wouldn't hesitate to send it back again .... some folks choose not to and that's fine with me ....as I see it, the only down side to sending it back to Henry is I won't have it for a few days .... with Henry paying for all repairs and the shipping, both ways, my preference is to ensure the repair is done right .... looking forward to hearing your assessment after you get yours back
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:21 am

I'm sure Henry never expected this to happen and hopefully it has been resolved with a better quality of steel for the tubes.
I really wish Henry had found seamless, drawn steel tube stocks to make the load tubes instead of the rolled steel tubes they use. I suspect they found dimensional brass tubing for the inner tube and then made the outer tubes sized to the inner.
If Henry had suspected this as a potential problem a solution would have been to machine a sleeve to fit the end of the tube as s 'collar'.
This would dramatically strengthen this area but I am just thinking in hindsight.
0 x

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 am

Mistered, Appreciate your perspective on this quality control issue. Do you think anyone at HRA monitors this forum for reoccurring situations like the out magazine tube problem?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am

Some of the Henry rifle models use a machined dove tail mounted collar. So they seem to be aware now. They could probably retrofit the other Henry's but then the mag tube would be shorter.

357 mag tube end.jpg
Mistered wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:21 am
... a solution would have been to machine a sleeve to fit the end of the tube as s 'collar'.
Pitchman1968 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 am
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mags on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234