Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Metal Split

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Metal Split

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 am

Some of the Henry rifle models use a machined dove tail mounted collar
I previously noticed this change on the side gate models and really liked it.
I was thinking a machined sleeve could be installed on the ends of existing Length tubes to strengthen the area where they split.
The 'Achilles Heel' with the split tube is the seam in the load tube. With the load tube twist lock recess cut where it is, and the seam in the tube close by, this is a 'built in' weak point.
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 am

Do you think anyone at HRA monitors this forum for reoccurring situations like the out magazine tube problem?
If they do it's probably incidental and not used for any business decisions. Typically manufactures do NOT like forums specific to their products for a variety of reasons.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Pitchman1968 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 am
Mistered, Appreciate your perspective on this quality control issue. Do you think anyone at HRA monitors this forum for reoccurring situations like the out magazine tube problem?

I don't believe it to be a quality control issue .... rather, a design that most probably serves well on the vast majority of their 44's .... in noting the comment below from the first post in this thread :

Pitchman1968 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am
I have BBB .44 Mag rifle which I bought new in 2015, and I have fired approximately 1,000 hand loaded rounds through it. My handloads consist of 250 gr Bear Tooth hard cast lead, gas checked bullets over 16 grs of Accurate #9 powder.

the magazine tube failure with our 44 came after 10's of thousands of rounds .... I'd be willing to bet that many , if not most, never see a thousand (much less 10's of thousands) rounds run through them .... the question then becomes, which is more cost effective ? .... a complete redesign and retro fit (which they did wit early 45-70's) or to repair the ones that fail and are returned
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:19 pm

the magazine tube failure with our 44 came after 10's of thousands of rounds .... I'd be willing to bet that many , if not most, never see a thousand (much less 10's of thousands) rounds run through them
And this is correct and the rational behind it.
Heck there are some gun mfgs. that actually admit to expected 'failures' on certain models after say a certain number of rounds has been fired in it.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Barrels, springs and mags (tubes & followers too) are consumable items.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:38 pm

All's Well That Ends Well. Another superb customer service experience from HRA. I sent the rifle back to Bayonne this past Monday, 9/16. Today, Friday, 9/20, UPS delivered the rifle back to me at noon. I figure the rifle arrived at HRA'S repair shop on Tuesday...Bayonne, NJ is about 220 miles from my home. The rifle was repaired on Wednesday or Thursday morning and was picked up by UPS Thursday PM.
In my original post I was too embarrassed to mention that when I took the rifle apart to see if I could replace the split magazine tube, I was unable to reassemble it. So, when I shipped to HRA, the rifle was in pieces. This is not the first time that's happened; once before I took the rifle apart to clean out the receiver and couldn't get it back together. And, yes I have watched the video on HRA's website on how to disassemble and reassemble the H006B model.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Pitchman1968 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:38 pm
All's Well That Ends Well. Another superb customer service experience from HRA.

no surprise but always good to hear again .... looking forward to your comments after having an opportunity to get reacquainted with your 44
0 x