Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My New Henry Big Boy 45 Colt

Lead Head
Tenderfoot
United States of America

My New Henry Big Boy 45 Colt

Post by Lead Head » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:08 pm

I recently received my new Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt caliber. It is a real beauty to look at.

I am having what I think is a problem. When loading the magazine tube, and especially when I push the inner tube down to lock it in place, the lever pops part way open. Is this a common thing, or is it a problem.

Second concern I have with the rifle is it is extremely fussy about the ammo it will shoot accurately and it doesn't seem to be consistent from one time to the next. I have noticed the rifle is very sensitive to any variation of pressure on the forearm making it very difficult to shoot accurately.

I welcome any suggestions other members may have.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: My New Henry Big Boy 45 Colt

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Welcome again, Lead Head!

What you're describing with the lever-popping was an issue a few years ago, but, as far as I know, the problem has been engineered of more recent production. Bottom line, it shouldn't be happening.

Your post says it's "new," so assume it's fairly recent production? If you send Henry an email with the S/N, they can verify its production date.

The other common thing to look at is how many rounds you're trying to load. The manual says 10 (if it's the full-sized Big Boy, not the carbine model), so make sure you're not squeezing in 11 rounds just because it looks like the last one will "fit." If 10 is all oyou're trying to load, then contacting Henry may be your next step.

As far as ammo and accuracy, there's no question rifles (and handguns) seem to prefer different types of ammo, so we'll need to understand more about what you're using, from what distance(s), with what sight set-up, etc. With factory ammo, it's often just trial and error to get to the right match for your firearm.

HOpe that helps; keep us posted and shoot back any questions/comments. Others may chime in with thoughts as well!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Lead Head
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Lead Head » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:46 pm

ESquared,

I have been loading only five rounds at a time for load testing.

All my shooting with this rifle so far has been at fifty yards, off a bench with bags. The rifle is scoped.

I have been working with SNS 250gr. RNFP bullets that measure very close to .453" diameter and Missouri 250gr. RNFP that measures closer to .4524" in diameter. The bore slugs at .452" groove diameter. I have used Winchester 231 and Unique for the faster end of the burn rate and Accurate no. 5 & Accurate no. 7 for the slower side. Loading from starting loads in the manuals to suggested maximum with all four powders, ten rounds of each powder charge.

All the targets look more like some one shot at it with "OO" buck shot. I tried to shake powder to the rear, thinking I may be having a "Powder Position Sensitivity Problem, Still crap for groups.

I have run onto only one factory ammunition that shoots great five shot groups that are one ragged hole, so the gun can shoot well, but so far it still hates lead. That ammo in Federal 225 gr. RNFP, jacketed with soft lead flat.

I will have to talk to Henery about the lever popping open when loading the magazine.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Lead Head wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:08 pm
I am having what I think is a problem. When loading the magazine tube, and especially when I push the inner tube down to lock it in place, the lever pops part way open. Is this a common thing, or is it a problem.
nope, not a common problem .... does the magazine rod seem to be tight or catching on the shells as you are pushing it down the tube ? ....
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 pm

Lead Head wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:46 pm
ESquared,

I have been loading only five rounds at a time for load testing.

I will have to talk to Henery about the lever popping open when loading the magazine.
My $.02 is that you have a chat with Henry about your groups as well, especially if you can provide them with some photos of your set-up and the targets. Something sounds "off," and it's beyond me what it could be. If it were barrel alignment, they'd at least group consistently (I'd think) instead of your buckshot pattern.

Everything you posted will be important to them, but I'd be shocked if you didn't have a UPS label in your email on the same day you make contact.

It's a bummer to have to go through this, but at least now you're likely to get an idea of why their customer service reputation is as good as it is.

Please keep us posted. They'll take care of you.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 am

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!

Although others have said otherwise, Yes the lever popping is a common problem. I have spoken with HenryCS about it. A couple years ago Henry tried to design the problem out but was only marginally successful. Still happens with some new as well as with some rifles Henry has repaired. Mine does it while inserting the inner mag tube and it gets hung up on ammo case rim(s) while slightly forcing the inner mag tube. It also helps when inserting the inner mag tube to twist it, helps the inner tube slip past the case rims. I've also found that in using Federal Fusion ammo, I almost never encounter the inner tube getting hung up on case rims and hence no lever popping. Also Federal Fusion is what my Henry likes the best when shooting. Least liked Remington Core Lokt and Winchester Power Point.

Henry Contacts
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5127
Lead Head wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:08 pm
I recently received my new Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt caliber. It is a real beauty to look at.

Second concern I have with the rifle is it is extremely fussy about the ammo it will shoot accurately and it doesn't seem to be consistent from one time to the next. I have noticed the rifle is very sensitive to any variation of pressure on the forearm making it very difficult to shoot accurately.

I welcome any suggestions other members may have.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BobGinVA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:33 am

Take the scope off and try it with the same loads...sounds like a bad mount/scope....besides, if you ship it back to Henry, you have to do that anyway...
BobG in VA
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 am

Loose reticle? Dunno, but still scratchin' my head over why they're spraying all over the target at just 50 yds...
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 am

Lead Head, this may mean nothing, but, you mentioned handloads weren't working well. Then said one factory brand works fine for accuracy. Is your OAL the same? How much of a crimp? I have two Henry rifles, a .357 and .45 Colt, both with 20" barrels. No issue with mag tube/ lever popping. Puzzled.
1 x

Lead Head
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Lead Head » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 am

I spoke with Henry customer service this morning. I gave them the serial number of my Henry and they said it was manufactured May of this year. Then I told them of the problem with lever popping part way open after loading five rounds in the magazine tube and inserting the inner tube causing the lever to pop partially open.

The answer was they recommend loading the magazine tube with the rifle at a 45 degree angle to prevent the lever from popping open. They said the combined weight of the cartridges and then inserting the inner tube with the rifle at the 45 degree angle is less likely to cause a problem.

Nothing wrong with the scope or scope mount. The rifle shoots Federal 225 gr. RNFP ammo like it is a target rifle. I do wish it would shoot lead near as good. So far I have only tried 250 gr. lead. I have two lead bullets that are lighter in weight. Maybe they will do better.

Today I tried some loads using 230 gr. Hornady XTP and 200 gr Hornady XTP bullets. These preliminary loads all look like they will be good for accuracy also.

I may find some lead to shoot well in this rifle. I can only hope so because lead is cheaper than factory jacketed bullets.
0 x