Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Weak ejection

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Weak ejection

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm

I noticed the same thing. I will probably contact Henry as well. By the way, welcome.
Last edited by GFK on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:55 pm

I wouldn't call the ejection on my BBB .357 'weak' - but it does not kick the case out with much force either.
It clears the port but not with any great 'spring loaded' action.
I recall reading somewhere once the Henrys were designed with a 'soft' ejection but the brass should positively clear the ejection port.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:30 pm

At one time, I had to pull the casings out. At other times, casings would drop out. When I worked the lever with great force, casings would eject fairly well. I cycled some dummy rounds last week, the last round would not even eject. I cycled the lever several times, before the last round ejected. I understand I should not baby the rifle. But, I prefer not to have a workout using it. Maybe, it is the ejector. Or maybe, it is the extractor. As mentioned, it could be both. At any rate, I probably will do something.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:35 pm

I got to thinking about this and checked my BBB .357 ejector and discovered some free movement with the ejector.
I stuck my pinky in the port and can move the ejector about an 1/8" back and forth freely.
This is not correct as typically an ejector that is extended as if ejecting a piece of brass should be under spring tension - otherwise the ejection will be 'soft' as the ejector is not being fully extended by the spring.
I will taking mine apart to look closer at this and probably replace the spring.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Mistered wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:35 pm
I will taking mine apart to look closer at this and probably replace the spring.
Thanks for the idea.
0 x

smike308
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by smike308 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 am

Update—I spoke to a very nice and very helpful lady at Henry today. They are sending the ejector and spring to me and said if that doesn’t correct the issue they want the rifle in for service. I had quite the opposite experience with another gun company’s (S-A) customer service yesterday. I won’t go into detail, but what a study in contrasts.
👍👍 to Henry’s customer service.
2 x
NRA Endowment Life, USPSA Charter Life, Life member Disabled American Veterans, U.S. Army ‘69-‘71, Vietnam ‘70

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 am

First, WELCOME to the forum and THANKS for keeping us posted on your story.

You've now learned first-hand why HRA breeds the customer loyalty that it does.

Please tell us "the rest of the story" when the parts come in and you've had a chance to swap 'em out!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am

Very good! Hope that does it. Who did you talk to at HenryCS?
smike308 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 am
Update—I spoke to a very nice and very helpful lady at Henry today. They are sending the ejector and spring to me and said if that doesn’t correct the issue they want the rifle in for service. I had quite the opposite experience with another gun company’s (S-A) customer service yesterday. I won’t go into detail, but what a study in contrasts.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 pm

smike308 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 am
good to hear and it comes as no surprise whatsoever ... hopefully the spring will resolve the issue
0 x

smike308
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by smike308 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Mags—Sorry to say, but I don’t remember her name. Maybe Jessie, just a shot in the dark though.
0 x
NRA Endowment Life, USPSA Charter Life, Life member Disabled American Veterans, U.S. Army ‘69-‘71, Vietnam ‘70