Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

rifle broke

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: rifle broke

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Dang Wiz good thing you are easy going on this. No Front sight that sucks. I think I would definitely say something to someone who would get after the firearms repair people to be a little more aware of what we are doing.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Go figure :!: It would be interesting to really know where/how that sight got away, wouldn't it? 🤔

Glad you're cool about it. Strange things do happen.
Always good to know at the end of the tale Henry will make it right.
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:26 am

Hats off to you for being so laid back, but I agree with the note above that it's still worthwhile to bring it to someone's attention, if for no other reason that they'll do a little "training" in an effort to see that this doesn't happen to some valued customer in the future.

The inattention to detail is just mind-boggling: you can tell that they test fired the rifle yet they failed to notice that there was not front sight? Or, maybe even crazier, they test-fired the rifle and then the front sight was removed by someone for some reason?

Like I said, the mind boggles!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am

It would be interesting to really know where/how that sight got away, wouldn't it
I'll take a wild guess and say 'where' it happened was in the repair/shop department of HRA, and 'how' would be someone drifted it out.

Did you look at the front sight dovetail to make sure it was not damaged when the sight was removed?

Also did you receive any kind of document that described exactly what was done and possibly signed or otherwise named the tech who did the work?

The bottom line? ZERO QC after the repairs.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am

The Wiz wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm
Got the rifle back today. Replaced Trigger Guard Plate. Seems to work. Will find out when I shoot it. Oh,wait.... The factory front sight is missing. Good grief!!! Called and they will send a replacement in 3 to 10 days What a bummer! :(
I've been thinking about it and do fully realize I'm not a gunsmith .... question, why would they need to remove the front sight to have "Replaced Trigger Guard Plate" .... having fired that rifle over 1000 times, if there was a problem that allowed the front sight to simply fall out, on would think it would have done so a good while back ... it must have been removed as part of the repair process and I simply don't understand why that would be necessary
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 am

Mistered wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am
The bottom line? ZERO QC after the repairs.
in this case, that is most definitely true .... thankfully, I tend to believe that is the exception rather than the rule .... I do agree with the suggestion above that this be followed up .... I'd be working on an email to be sent directly to Anthony .... with his longstanding commitment to service after the sale, he needs to know
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:04 am

it must have been removed as part of the repair process and I simply don't understand why that would be necessary
Here is a good one...
I once had to send a customer's RV back to the factory for some extensive repairs we could not accomplish at the dealership (not uncommon)
When it was returned and I was inspecting it before signing off on it I was 'making the rounds' - then opened the exterior kitchen compartment door - nearly all the components in this area had been removed, left loose, plumbing disconnected - and THIS had NOTHING to do with the repairs it was returned for!!
I continued my inspection and began to find many other issues that were not part of the repairs it was sent back for and were obviously caused while at the factory.

This was definitely an exception but something on this scale should have never been overlooked.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:13 am

absolutely .... couldn't agree more
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:45 am

Maybe they replaced the barrel and forgot to put a sight on it? Not surprised it was unnoticed missing during test firing. The rifles are tested mounted in a test fixture firing into a bullet capture chamber, not fired by a human being. As seen in one of the factory tour videos. Avoids hurting a human tester should something misbehave with the rifle during testing.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Maybe they replaced the barrel and forgot to put a sight on it?
Except they were working on the trigger.

However, if for ANY reason they decided to change the barrel failure to install a front sight would have been noticed if a proper post work inspection would have been accomplished. Forgetting would NOT be an excuse as a front sight is pretty obvious on a rifle - as well as if it is missing.
0 x