Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

rifle broke

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: rifle broke

Post by GFK » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Maybe they replaced the barrel and forgot to put a sight on it?
Except they were working on the trigger. . . . Forgetting would NOT be an excuse as a front sight is pretty obvious on a rifle - as well as if it is missing.
I agree. But, the staff at the LGS that I frequent refer to mishaps like this as: Some one must have had to much to drink, or it was time for a cold one (Miller Time or whatever the flavor may be). Not trying to make lite of the situation. But, some people just watch the clock.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Doesn't mean someone didn't stray from the repair work order. Much like your RV happenstance.

Yup it missing should have been noticed regardless.
Mistered wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:00 pm
Maybe they replaced the barrel and forgot to put a sight on it?
Except they were working on the trigger.

However, if for ANY reason they decided to change the barrel failure to install a front sight would have been noticed if a proper post work inspection would have been accomplished. Forgetting would NOT be an excuse as a front sight is pretty obvious on a rifle - as well as if it is missing.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:22 pm

I finally got around to cleaning the gun and I must say that they must use some real "dirty " ammo or they fired a lot rounds thru it. The piece was filthy. The first two patches were just black. Never saw anything like it before. The breach wasn't as bad but still dirtier than usually. Gun cleaned up well and I did not see any scratches in the barrel. I guess I should have sent something to the boss, if nothing else to protect the field, as they say in golf. My bad.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm

Received a replacement sight. Any advice on drifting it in. Keep in mind, I have no shop and just basic tools. And I did drop a note to the " boss " about what happened.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Any advice on drifting it in. Keep in mind, I have no shop and just basic tools.
Well if you were close to me I'd say bring it over but here ya go.
Ensure your dovetail is clean and the base & edges of the sight are clean & free of burrs.
Put a drop of oil on the dovetail and slide the sight in from the RIGHT SIDE OF THE BARREL and ensure it enters the dove tail smoothly.
Push on it and see how far you can get it through the dovetail.
If you can push it approximately halfway (or just short of halfway) you can probably drift it in the rest of the way.
Find yourself a short section of 1/2" x 6" (or thereabouts) UHMD rod stock as a drift tool. UHMD is Ultra High Molecular Density plastic and I like to use it as a 'drift' tool on larger parts as it is a little more forgiving than brass punches and work well on 'light press' fit parts like sights.
Now this part will take some coordination but its not difficult!
Set a chair next to your couch/easy chair etc. and lay the rifle butt on it to support it, and set the muzzle end on your knee while you are in the chair.
Make sure the rifle is relatively solid and will not move.
With the UHMD in hand and a small hammer put the end of the rod on the end of the sight BASE and give it a light, but solid tap and check for movement (if you do this correctly you can hold the rod on the end of the sight BASE and support the muzzle with your palm at the same time) If it moved in repeat and check again. If it did not move give it a bit more of a heavier tap but if you were able to hand insert the sight halfway or a bit less it should drift in with little effort.
When close to center either 'eyeball' it for proper centering or get a 6" machinist's rule to ensure proper center of the bead/blade.

IF the sight will not enter the dovetail smoothly or just barely into it you will have to stone the base of the sight to remove a little metal to 'fit' it.
This will require a bench stone so the bottom of the sight can be ground slightly to remove some metal to get it to enter the dovetail to the approximate halfway point.

If this is the case you will need a bench stone to do this yourself and I can explain this part of the process but if not you would need to have this done.

Under NO circumstances try to drift the sight in if it DOES NOT enter the dovetail about halfway, or a bit short of halfway by hand!!

This method might seem a bit 'crude' and even though I have the tools and equipment to clamp and properly support a barrel I prefer this method to install sights - or remove them if they are not too tight or rusted
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:55 pm

It does not enter smoothly or the other one does not also. Yes, I recieve 2 from Henry in two different shipments. I think they got confused.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:25 pm

It does not enter smoothly or the other one does not also
Sometimes the dovetails on the barrel are cut very sharp, as well as the sight and at first may not seem to slide in easily but try it again and look very closely at it and make sure you are lining up the sight 'squarely' with the barrel dove tail.

I can be frustrating as it's hard to see but the sight SHOULD be able to index with the dovetail on the barrel and slide in to some degree. Make sure you are inserting it on the RIGHT SIDE of the barrel

I have occasionally fought with this myself!
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 pm

I have tried without success to slide either one of the sights on to the barrel. I could see one not working but two brand new sights? I am beginning to wonder if the dove slot on the barrel was damage when the original came off or was knocked off at the Henry factory. I think another email to the boss is in order. Of course, it probably means the rifle is going back for the third time I have own it. This is getting old.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm

I am beginning to wonder if the dove slot on the barrel was damage when the original came off or was knocked off at the Henry factory.
Look closely at the dovetail on the barrel - It would have to be damaged pretty dramatically for a sight to not be able to slide in. I have 50 + year old rifles with clean dovetails. If you have never changed sights, or have any experience with this then I suggest you find someone who can do this for you.
Last edited by Mistered on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:58 pm

There's a learning curve and aptitude. Special little files you gotta have.
I love that stuff but for others maybe not.
This is hardly something it needs to be sent back for.
Man, don't get me wrong but is this the kind of stuff some of you guys send rifles 'back' for?
0 x
Pax at Justitia