Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

41 Magnum?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

41 Magnum?

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:05 pm

It's interesting to try to search this topic. If you type in "41 Magnum", the search ignores the "41" and gives you thousands of posts/threads with "magnum" in them; imagine that.

If you remove the space and search "41Magnum", you get exactly ONE result, which is several years old and tells your basically nothing.

So, I'm just curious. Where does it "fit" in the scheme of things? Fun round to shoot? Easy or hard to reload for? Redundant in many ways ? Not worth the trouble?

Have read a lot of posts surrounding many calibers, but almost zero on the 41 Mag. I'm guessing there's a good reason, but wanted to pose the question.

Thanks in advance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: 41 Magnum?

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Evan, try searching Google with quotes: "41 magnum". I got 330,000 hits.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:31 pm

I typed in "reviews of .41 magnum firearms," and got sparse info. I think you're correct in that there is not a lot out there on this caliber. Also checked Chuck Hawks reviews, and all that was listed there was the .41 Rem Mag review.

Here an article from above search:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... 41-magnum/

Then I typed in "reviews of .41 magnum ammo," and got one more article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/the-fo ... z5rVKWwcjm

Hope these might provide something you're looking for.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:08 pm
Evan, try searching Google with quotes: "41 magnum". I got 330,000 hits.
My "search" comment was about searching HRF for any threads/posts. I've since found few articles, reviews, etc., but was just looking for Forum member input on the round specifically and even more specifically to any Henry 41 Mag experience.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:14 pm

ESquared wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:05 pm
It's interesting to try to search this topic. If you type in "41 Magnum", the search ignores the "41" and gives you thousands of posts/threads with "magnum" in them; imagine that.

If you remove the space and search "41Magnum", you get exactly ONE result, which is several years old and tells your basically nothing.

So, I'm just curious. Where does it "fit" in the scheme of things? Fun round to shoot? Easy or hard to reload for? Redundant in many ways ? Not worth the trouble?

Have read a lot of posts surrounding many calibers, but almost zero on the 41 Mag. I'm guessing there's a good reason, but wanted to pose the question.

Thanks in advance!
I don't reload so can't speak to that, but I know several local folks who do reload .41. I donate my brass to one of them. As for factory ammo, there are many more load and bullet options available than just a few years ago, and it is a fine hunting round (or sd rnd if you're inclined towards revolvers or DE's). I have 210 SWC cowboy loads, 210gr XTP +P, and 190gr Hornady LeveRevolution on hand at the moment to feed my NMBH and my Henry BBSC, but others such as 150gr Lehigh copper, 265gr LWN, and 230gr Keith are also available. The round was originally developed by Elmer Keith for LE.

Flat shooting, less recoil than a .44, and works well for N.American game such as hogs, deer, elk, etc.

It has a relatively small, but loyal fan base, compared to .357/.44mag, partly because it never found great favor with military or LE, and because of that it is a bit expensive, $1-$2/rnd. Generally not a range/plinking cartridge unless you have deep pockets - or reload. BuffaloBore & Underwood both carry a good selection. Local shops, not so much, or not at all. You'll never find any at Walmart. :roll:

Most of the folks I've introduced it to tend to like it a lot - except for the price. :)

PS: Most of the published ballistics on the round used a revolver barrel (5-6" or so) as their test barrel, so shooting it from a rifle such as a Henry, you'll get a significant boost in FPS, and subsequent range and terminal ballistics, not only due to the longer barrel, but also because there is no pressure bleed off as you have with a revolver cyl/barrel gap, which can be substantial. See this: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/gaptests.html
Last edited by GunnyGene on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for all of that, GG! I've looked at it in general from time to time,and knew it was a bit of niche round, not very common, but reloading has opened up possibilities to think outside the "box" so to speak.

I found one review (Truth About Guns, I think) a while back, and what stuck in my mind was that the writer referred to it as a "Goldilocks round" and cited some 1,700 FPS out of a Henry 20" barrel. That had me interested at the time, but, to your point, ammo was expensive and I didn't reload then, so I back-burnered it.

How do you like your BBSC in 41Mag? 75-100 yd hunting range, is that safe to assume? Things get pretty clustered up in the 357/41 Mag/44 Mag universe, not to mention the 45 Colt, so it's probably redundant for the most part to what I already have, but it's always been in the back of my mind since I read the "Goldilocks" comment. He never really did say why he thought of it that way, other than the sweet spot in terms of power (out of a rifle) and low recoil (again, out of a rifle).

Thanks again, would love to hear more about your experience with your Henry and this round.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Evan, what I'm about to type might sound like, "huh, whaaat!?" But I thought the same exact thing a while back. I simply came to the conclusion that the .41 mag in a lever gun was just too middle of the road. Right between the .357 and .44 mag. So, went completely right rudder and bought the .45 Colt. But, like you, I keep thinking about that .41 mag. Interesting, huh? Sure like that .45!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:02 pm

ESquared wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:33 pm
Thanks for all of that, GG! I've looked at it in general from time to time,and knew it was a bit of niche round, not very common, but reloading has opened up possibilities to think outside the "box" so to speak.

I found one review (Truth About Guns, I think) a while back, and what stuck in my mind was that the writer referred to it as a "Goldilocks round" and cited some 1,700 FPS out of a Henry 20" barrel. That had me interested at the time, but, to your point, ammo was expensive and I didn't reload then, so I back-burnered it.

How do you like your BBSC in 41Mag? 75-100 yd hunting range, is that safe to assume? Things get pretty clustered up in the 357/41 Mag/44 Mag universe, not to mention the 45 Colt, so it's probably redundant for the most part to what I already have, but it's always been in the back of my mind since I read the "Goldilocks" comment. He never really did say why he thought of it that way, other than the sweet spot in terms of power (out of a rifle) and low recoil (again, out of a rifle).

Thanks again, would love to hear more about your experience with your Henry and this round.
I read that article, also. 1700 - 1800 is pretty much what you can expect even in the carbine. Depends on how you load it really - powder, etc. like any other handload.

I really like it in my Carbine, especially w/Hornady 190gr LeveRevolution. Cycles well, accurate, very low recoil. Bagged a deer last season @ about 80yds. Went clean thru and took some of her heart out the other side. Here's the ballistics I worked up for that round with the Hornady to give you an idea of bullet drop at longer ranges. Also, there's several videos on YouTube about the round and the guns that shoot it. Search YouTube for .41mag ammo.

PS: I shared it with a buddy at our meet&greet a couple weeks ago, and he had no trouble hitting a 10" gong at 100yds, if that's any help. I think I posted about that a few days ago.

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Post by John M » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:48 pm

20190619_142756.jpg
I can give a review, IT WORKS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 pm

John M wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:48 pm
20190619_142756.jpgI can give a review, IT WORKS.
Yep. I kinda wish the reloaders would suspend reloading this cartridge for a couple years and buy factory ammo. Might bring the price down some. 10 years ago I could buy Underwood XTP for about 65cents/rnd. Lately it's up to about $1.20/rnd. Makes for an expensive range trip. :roll:

Nice buck, btw. :D
1 x