Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Replacement

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Replacement

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 am

OP mentioned in a post on a different thread about this subject he had returned the rifle and bought a BLR.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am

thanks, I must have missed that post
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 pm

The new model case hardened .44 and the new side loaders use a machined steel end on the mag tube. Also the carbine models.
I did not realize Henry had changed the forward end of the load tube by modifying the forward tube support to become the latch retention system for the end of the inner load tube.
This is a definite improvement as it will eliminate the cracking of the outer load tube by removing the 'stress' that has caused the cracking - which is still a mystery to me.
I have thought about it and I am THINKING when the tube is full and the first shot is fired it somehow transfers impact through all the rounds and hammers the inner tube forward, which eventually cracks the outer tube due to the lock pin pushing against it.
I can't really see any other way for this to happen and looking at the new system I see no reason an existing rifle could not be converted. It would require a new tube support, a new (or shortened) inner tube and most likely a shorter inner tube.
0 x

Jimi
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Jimi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 am

I don’t think the magazine is fully loaded during test fire—I may be wrong on that. What I found on the one I purchased was the outer mag tube was distorted where it meets the receiver. I’m pretty sure this would be caused by blow-by, causing the already weak area to deform.
0 x

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:27 am

Ok here is the update after many emails and calls the UK importer has agreed that there is no damage other than the crack in the tube and Henry has agreed the free replacement. Due to the difficulties and cost of posting firearms in UK the importer will post the tube to my gunsmith who will replace the tube and return the gun to at the range where we both shoot, I will pay him for the work and we are all happy. The cost to me is smaller than the shipping costs if I were to return the gun to the importer.
4 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 am

Mistered, I think you're on to something. When the gun fires, the recoil is a push to the rear, but the cartridges want to remain in place, so their inertia effectively "taps" forward on the tube. Not a lot different than a rifle scope moving forward in its rings on a heavy recoiling rifle. Over time, I can see how there could be some effect, especially with relatively heavy cartridges, like .44 Remington or, especially, .45-70.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 am

I don’t think the magazine is fully loaded during test fire—
Probably not but I was referring to the tubes that crack much later after the owner has owned the rifle for some time.
In this case I am sure the mag tube had been loaded full many times.
0 x

Shawn1974
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Shawn1974 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:26 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 am
Mistered, I think you're on to something. When the gun fires, the recoil is a push to the rear, but the cartridges want to remain in place, so their inertia effectively "taps" forward on the tube. Not a lot different than a rifle scope moving forward in its rings on a heavy recoiling rifle. Over time, I can see how there could be some effect, especially with relatively heavy cartridges, like .44 Remington or, especially, .45-70.
That is exactly what happens...it becomes a slide hammer! I had made a ring years ago that slid over the end of the tube on my H010, just to strengthen it, but it only slowed down the deformation. Eventually it became hard to turn the tube to release it, so I sent it in for the updated parts.
Last edited by Shawn1974 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 pm

Firefly wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:27 am
Ok here is the update after many emails and calls the UK importer has agreed that there is no damage other than the crack in the tube and Henry has agreed the free replacement. Due to the difficulties and cost of posting firearms in UK the importer will post the tube to my gunsmith who will replace the tube and return the gun to at the range where we both shoot, I will pay him for the work and we are all happy. The cost to me is smaller than the shipping costs if I were to return the gun to the importer.
So glad to hear you got a suitable outcome to your issue! Please keep us posted on how the repair goes and what you think when you get it back!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:00 am

Update.
My gunsmith has replaced the tube and returned the gun to me, the cost to me was just for his time spent on the work. He also slightly adjusted the inner tube lock to eliminate movement due to recoil that puts strain on the latch cutout slot. He is also looking at the possibility that the broken tube could be repaired.
3 x