Henry side loader

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry side loader

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Dave1953 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:55 pm
My side loader in 30-30 just came and I picked it up today. It is the most beautiful rifle I have. I only saw it for the first time a week ago and it was love at first sight. I knew I had to have one immediately. I ordered mine online for 750.00 and it was here in 6 days. I can't wait to shoot it. Now if they just would make one with an octogen barrell !
congrats on your new 30-30 side loader .... looking forward to your coming range reports and use impressions .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our forum's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 97#p100697
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Congrats on your 30-30 side gate! Look forward to hearing more about it, along with range reports and pictures!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Round barrels are lighter. Not that I want one ...
0 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:57 pm

Mistered wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:32 pm
You see a large number of us have been after Henry for some time to offer a brass receiver with a round barrel. For many of us that was more important than the side gate.
Just wondering what the appeal is for the 'large number' who want a round barrel on a brass frame as opposed to octagon.
I suppose the same could be ask of those who cherish the octagon barrels. For me personally (since I won't speak for someone else) the round barrels are lighter and therefore offer a better balance. There again just from my pov, they are more esthetically appealing. My experience with octagon barrels side by side with round barreled guns of the same type and model has shown the octagons to be less accurate for whatever reason. I therefore kept the round barrels and moved the octagons on to a more passionate owner. For the most part, it's simply a personal preference. Look at it like this. Right now Henry offers brass, blued, nickel and case colored receivers. To me the case colored appear unfinished. Blued is a more conventional, modern finish. Nickel plated the color of silver and Brass the color of gold adds glitz and glamour. To each their own. Henry is a business trying to cater to as many of us as they can in order to profit. I'm glad they listen to us all.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:39 pm

For me octagon barrel has more appearance appeal than round. But, the weight of the octagon makes it more difficult to hold on target when shooting freeform/freehand, ie. without rests or sleds.
Old Syko wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:57 pm
... My experience with octagon barrels side by side with round barreled guns of the same type and model has shown the octagons to be less accurate for whatever reason. ... I'm glad they listen to us all.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 pm

I have to admit I prefer octagon over round.
I prefer the greater weight and even with my 26" Winchesters do not find the extra weight to be a problem even when shooting off hand.
The Winchesters are trimmer than say the Big Boy and don't really feel barrel heavy.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 am

Mistered wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 pm
I prefer the greater weight and even with my 26" Winchesters do not find the extra weight to be a problem even when shooting off hand.
The Winchesters are trimmer than say the Big Boy and don't really feel barrel heavy.
A tapered octagon barrel is wwonderfully balanced for shooting off hand.
Henry's Octagon barrels are more like varmint bull barrels.

Are Henrey round barrels tapered. Only seen brass Henrys but for the one SS and don't recall.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 am

I prefer the heavier weight for lessening/buffering recoil, but aiming off hand, I have difficulty holding up the weight steady. Muzzle drifts down, correcting I'm up then drifting right or left as the muzzle sags, repeat. Don't have the steady strength in my arms I once had.
Mistered wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 pm
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:37 am

Mags wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 am
I prefer the heavier weight for lessening/buffering recoil, but aiming off hand, I have difficulty holding up the weight steady. Muzzle drifts down, correcting I'm up then drifting right or left as the muzzle sags, repeat. Don't have the steady strength in my arms I once had.
Nothing wrong with using a shootin' stick. It's about hitting what you're aiming to hit, not about arm wrestling. ;) :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:26 am

I prefer the kneeling position when shooting offhand so that gives me plenty of support.
Recoil is never an issue for me as my particular reloads for 30-30 (and .357) are pretty mild with very mild recoil.
0 x