Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I'm worse than a woman who can't make up her mind . . . .

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

I'm worse than a woman who can't make up her mind . . . .

Post by Michiganshooter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 pm

No offense to the ladies oaths site . . . . I guess I shouldn't put it that way but I remind myself of my wife when she's trying to figure out what to wear to go somewhere . . . . maybe I'm even worse? :-)

I owe everyone an apology here . . . I THOUGHT that I wanted a Henry BB carbine and was set to order one in 357 - just couldn't decide whether steel or brass and I bothered you all asking questions. So . . . today I stopped at a gunshop I have done business with for years . . . I had consigned some rifles I no longer use and I had a check to pick up. I knew they had some Henrys as I had called down for a quote on the carbines . . . evidently the day I called they were super busy and the fellow quoted me wrong. I was all set to order on-line and have it shipped and do a FFL transfer. When I got done with getting the check and paperwork all taken care of, I said Wanted to see some of their Henrys. They were eager to show me some - in fact a whole rack full of various models and calibers.

The had the steel carbine and I liked it . . . I looked at the brass and steel 357 rifles . . . I looked at what they had in 45 LC too. What was great was that I was able to heft and handle them all instead of just making up my mind from looking at videos, etc. I surprised myself. AS much as I like octagon barrels, I found the Henry BB brass 357 rifle too heavy for my liking. The carbines were very nice . . . BUT . . . I kept going back to the BB steel rifle - 20" barrel in 357. The guy pointed out the wood in that particular gun and said it was some of the nicest he had seen come through in a long time but he also said that their wood was nice on all their rifles. This rifle had a nice burl pattern in the buttstock. I watered quite a bit as I tried the different rifles but surprisingly, at least to me, was that I REALLY LOVED the feel of the steel BB rifle. I guess from the videos i have watched, I thought that I would like the carbine more as it would be "handier" but when I handled the rifle, it very much reminded me of the Winchester 94 30-30 carbines I have shot over the years - lengthwise anyways. So, after bothering all of you good folks and after THINKING I NEW WHAT I WANTED . . . the 357 steel BB rifle came home with me . . . and I'm tickled to death with it! Form follows function . . . and while the rifle is beautiful, even better it just plain "feel right". I have a feeling this one is going to be a "favorite". One in 45 LC? That will come and I imagine it will be a hard decision as well . . . but it will be a Henry!

I also ahd a chance to see one of the new 30-30 brass receivers with the loading gate. Now everyone has they own likes and dislikes and opinions . . . and a lot of folks want and like a loading gate and are used to Winchesters, Marlins, etc. I'm guessing Henry did the right thing by offering it to those that like it . . . but I almost felt it looked "out of place". I am used to looking at videos and photos of Henry rifles and I guess I appreciate them for many reasons - American made, very good quality and I feel a good value . . but to me, they are a design all of their own. No different that a Winchester, Marlin, Kennedy or Burgess. I keep seeing things about the convenience of a loading gate to keep adding ammo while hunting, etc. . . . but if you can't make a killing shot with the capacity of the rifle . . . I'm thinking you need more target practice. A self-defense situation . . . O.K. . . possibly. But like I said . . too me, the Henry is a design all of its own and the tubular magazine is no different that what was on the original Henrys prior to being Winchesters. You do have the option of either using the tubular magazine or the loading gate . . which I guess will appeal to a number of folks. The fellow showing me the Henrys is a lever gun shooter and likes the Henrys as much as his Winnies and Mrlins . . but he kagreed with me. I kind of looked at the loading gate and just shrugged and said "hugh" . . . for me I could take it or leave it but at least Henry is trying to cater to those that like them.

AAT LEAST I HAVE FINALLY MADE MY DECISION ON WHAT I WANTED . . and couldn't be happier and I appreciate all who were kind enough to help answer my questions along the way. My box of 1 X fired 357 brass shows up the other day . . . a little over 1K pieces so ow to load up some dummy rounds and play with COAL and my cast to see what is going to work best . . . then get some loaded up and try the rifle out. I do know that a skinner sight is going to be ordered . . . my old eyes just don't seem to cooperate that well with the stock sights. LOL
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: I'm worse than a woman who can't make up her mind . . . .

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 pm

No you don't. Just part of why we decided to be here ourselves. Happy you found a Henry you like and expect to hear more about it as you get better acquainted with it.
Michiganshooter wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 pm
I owe everyone an apology here . . .
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 pm

congrats indeed .... our 357 BBS rifle is a family favorite .... looking forward to following your range and use reports as you get to know it better .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 562#p98562
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Congrats on your decision and puchace! Before I bought my first Henry, I did a lot of thinking and research. This was because I knew my budget would not support a whole collection of Henrys. I decided that, for my purposes, and general all round usage, the BBS 357 20" was the best one for me ( partly because Of my S&W 357 revolver ). I love the choice I made!!!
Have since added a SGC. 😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm

Congrats on the new Henry and glad you were able to handle them and decide from that. That is always the best way. No apology necessary here. My choice to buy a side gate wasnt for the side gate at all. I bought one because of the caliber it was chambered in. I had asked Anthony via an email about 2 years ago if 38-55 was coming anytime soon. At that time he replied yes but would not say when. So when it did come out I jumped one one. Love the caliber and wanted one. End of story.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 am

Congrats on the BBS/357. That was my choice in my first Henry, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's a great handling rifle and a caliber that's easy to shoot, easy to reload and offers lots of versatility.

No doubt that 45 Colt will join it down the road, and it's great that you've been able to hold and heft them all, so your getting a feel for all the little differences.

Congrats again and keep us posted on how she shoots!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 am

I think you got lucky. Unfortunately the large majority of the guns I want aren't available locally and unfortunately I think this will be even more common in the future with not only guns but many more things as well.

Congrats, glad to hear you got to try and compare before deciding.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 am

I have the BB brass in .357 w/20" octagon barrel. You're right, kinda heavy and I put a scope on it. I also have the BB steel in .45 Colt w/20" round barrel. Way handier for me. But, as these are desert plinkers, they are perfect. Especially that .45!
1 x

one3
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by one3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Congrats on your Henry. I tollatly agree with you about what you said about Henry's. They are differnt, I, have been saying the same thing , we are hunting ,not defending the wagon train. if you need to reload while hunting, you may need some serious range time. I, have 3 Henery's. Talk about being able to make up my mind.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 am

It's a lot more fun buying one in person, isn't it. Congrats on picking out the perfect rifle - 'til the next one comes along ;) .
0 x