Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question on the Henry BB brass receiver models - letting them "age" :-)

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Question on the Henry BB brass receiver models - letting them "age" :-)

Post by Michiganshooter » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:37 pm

O.K. This is getting ridiculous. I'm going to change things up as far as my guns and am adding a 357 and 45 LC lever gun. First I was going to get the 45 LC first but changed my mind and decided I will go with the Henry BB carbine in 357 first. I thought I was all done waffling and was focused on the BB steel carbine in 357 - then I went and "done it" and looked at some more videos and watched several fellows shooting their brass framed carbines. Now . . . . heck, why are there so many choices to make in life and I'm getting older and it's hard enough to decide what to wear each day! LOL

So my question is on the "brass BBs". I'n not concerned about the strength of the brass receiver, etc. - but it's my understanding that they are made from strong "brass alloy"? I do like the octagon barrel and the looks of the brass carbine but I would want mine to "age" and get a nice patina on the brass receiver, barrel band and butt plate. I have shot BP for 55 years and we all know how fouling will tarnish brass quickly on any front stuffer with brass furniture on it. I have "antiqued" some my '51 Navies over the years and used a "brass blackening" on the triggerguard and backstop to "age" it in the low spots where normal wear wouldn't wear the look of it. Have no plans of shooting BP cartridges in the carbine as I don't want to have to worry about breaking it down for a thorough action cleaning so will leave my BP cartridges for my revolvers and 357 Handi Rifle which is much easier to clean up after shooting BP.

So my question is . . . first, I know that some like theirs polished and others leave 'em to patina. Do the brass tricked out rifles come from the factory with some kind of "coating or sealer" on the brass to keep it good looking for a while (which I would want to remove int if they do) or does it come just polished? Being a "brass alloy", will it tarnish and patina like regular brass does with use, exposure, dirty hands, etc. until it looks nicely "aged"? Not really a big deal but am just curious as to what the BBs with brass will do if left unpolished and just left to weather - I keep thinking about original Winchester '66's that I have seen over the years. I know for a fact that what I get for the 357 is going to be used more than what I get for the 45 LC - and yea, the solution would be to get one in brass and the other in steel but I haven't decided 100% on what the 45 LC lever gun will be yet. I take care of my firearms but I'm also not afraid to use them and a lot of my guns, especially my vintage revolvers, etc. have good honest holster wear and that's fine with me. If I decide to go with the brass tricked out BB in 357, it's going to be used and exposed to the variables of the Michigan climate as well as the dry heat of Arizona. So can I expect the brass to "age quickly" or does anyone know of a product to get the patine more quickly that is safe to use on the "brass alloy" without causing any issues with the steel parts of the action, etc.? In fact, I would even consider "aging" the carbine - once I knew it functioned 100% - and stip the blue and use plum brown to get a aged look with wear points on the barrel, etc. as well as workout he stock some to make it match. Some may think that "sacrilege" but I have done that to a number of cap and ball pistols as well as several rifles for others who wanted the "old look".

Thanks for your input and experiences with your "brasses".

Thanks for any information not he brass and "letting it go" - I'm hoping to get down to the gun shop and pick up my check for the guns I consigned and sold and get this thing ordered in the next week or so.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Question on the Henry BB brass receiver models - letting them "age" :-)

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 pm

there is no doubt about it, Henry Big Boy Classics are beautiful rifles .... we have several members who have chosen to let the finish on theirs age .... I'm sure one or more of them will be along .... have you spent any time looking at their color case hardened lines .. :?: .. they are also beautiful rifles
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Not a Big Boy but I have to agree with your thoughts on patina....:)...Mags will be along shortly with his brass polish..... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 am

Brass BigBoys do not have a sealer coat on their receivers, and they will patina with age if you don't polish/wax them to keep a shine. I don't think the receivers age as fast as the barrel bands (which I think are regular brass - not alloy). We have two brass BigBoys and the barrel bands are duller than the receivers on both of them.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 am

I bought my BB used, the brass already had a nice patina. I like that look, gives it character in my book.

20190602_163731.jpg

May be hard to tell in that pic.
Here's one with the Vaquero.

http://henryrifleforums.com/download/fi ... w&id=16578

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 am

My BB is the steel carbine version as I bought it for hunting and wanted the lighter weight. If I were buying again, I might go brass or more likely CCH. If you go brass, I’d definitely go for the patina. Vaqueros gun looks great! I also don’t have any issue with modifying the finish on these guns. While beautiful, they are not collectors pieces. I stripped the poly off my SGC, and would probably do the BBSC too if not for the checkering and the extra time involved in doing that properly.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am

I do like the look of aged brass on a lever gun, too. Personal choice, of course, as to whether you want shiny or that aged look, but I can't believe that those folks using brass lever guns back on the frontier for self-defense and hunting went out of their way to shine up that brass.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Like Vaquero, I bought my BB brass used. It also has the patina look, which I like. The butt plate tho, retains it's shiny look. I'm guessing because of going against cloth. Doesn't matter, great rifle.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Yup guess I had that coming. Though surprised the 'poke' comes from RR instead of BigAl.
So keeping up with the expectation, I like shiny brass and use Renaissance Wax to keep it that way. I too have noticed that the barrel band ages faster. Haven't paid attention to the butt plate, so don't know it it goes faster or not.
Really want to patina faster? Google "how to patina brass". Basically periodically wipe on a dilute solution of ammonia and salt. Clean the brass first of oils and finger prints least they become permanent silhouettes in the brass.
Not advisable for use on the 'brass lite' coating/finish on Henry rimfires. May cause shrinkage and cracking of 'brass lite'.
RanchRoper wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 pm
Not a Big Boy but I have to agree with your thoughts on patina....:)...Mags will be along shortly with his brass polish..... :lol:
Michiganshooter wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:37 pm
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Love that pic, Vaquero - BigBoy on a hog - could have been a BigBoy on a Fatboy if it were a soft-tail. Nice looking FLHR you have there - really like those saddlebags.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag