Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowboy carbine reviews

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Cowboy carbine reviews

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Well, it's been almost 2 months since the new Henry was intro'd, and I've read and a watched a lot of reviews about it. I've yet to find any that had anything negative, or even minor complaints about it, except one guy who thought it was a little difficult to load 30-30 due to the length of the round. With other new designs from most other manufacturers there's always something negative, so this absence of complaints is unusual. Anyone heard any complaints yet?
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Cowboy carbine reviews

Post by Mistered » Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 pm

except one guy who thought it was a little difficult to load 30-30 due to the length of the round.
Unless the design is egregiously different from say a Winchester Mod 94 I can not imagine it being any more difficult.
If the load tube spring is stiff and does not allow the round to stay wedged between the gate and the frame while then next is being pushed in this could be a problem but it is an easy fix by clipping coils off until the desired tension is attained.
The trick is to NOT have to push the gate open each time to load a round except on the first.
Depending on the design it could be difficult to open the gate if the spring tension is too tight and several rounds are already in and if a cartridge rim makes contact with the the forward end of the gate.
Sometimes its necessary to smooth up and bevel the inside forward edge of the load gate to allow it to push past the rim - At least in a Winchester that is.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Cowboy carbine reviews

Post by Mags » Sun May 26, 2019 1:11 pm

As shared in an earlier post elsewhere, some of the videos show what appears to be a very stiff tube spring by the amount of effort shown while pushing in ammo through the gate.
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:28 pm
Well, it's been almost 2 months since the new Henry was intro'd, and I've read and a watched a lot of reviews about it. I've yet to find any that had anything negative, or even minor complaints about it, except one guy who thought it was a little difficult to load 30-30 due to the length of the round. With other new designs from most other manufacturers there's always something negative, so this absence of complaints is unusual. Anyone heard any complaints yet?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234