Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brand New Rifle Jams after first shot!!

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Brand New Rifle Jams after first shot!!

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat May 25, 2019 11:45 pm

Defiantly the mag tube.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 25, 2019 11:59 pm

first, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... sorry to hear about the jam .... the recommendations you have been given are good ones .... since your rifle is operating smoothly I agree with giving it another try .... I would suggest that to begin with you load one round and fire it .... if the tube remains locked, I'd suggest loading 2 and firing .... if that goes smoothly, fully load the magazine and see what happens .... is yours a carbine or rifle .. :?: .. if it should jam again, you might consider removing the screw that holds the lever in place .... with the bolt back as shown in your picture, the lever may well slide right our .... that will allow you to remove the bolt from the rear .... hopefully with the bolt and magazine tube both remove, it might be easier to remove the jammed cartridge .... again, welcome .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 265#p97265
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:49 pm
We're you working the lever with athourity, or kind of watching yourself lever the rifle?
First off, welcome from Westrern North Carolina RAG!
I must say, aside from the mag tube possibly popping loose from recoil, ( unlikely IMO ), When I first shot my BBS, I realized quickly that the lever has to be completely cycled with authority as Ojai suggested.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 am

Like above, my Henry needs a "firm handsake" with the lever in order to cycle properly. If you're reloading and trying to catch the spent brass as you fire, you may not be.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun May 26, 2019 12:50 pm

I think lack of authority or handshake on the lever unlikely. From the description and picture there appears to be plenty of authority for it to be jammed up so tight.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. As you can read, there are lots of knowledgeable members who are more than willing to help with issues like this; nonetheless, you own a rifle made by a company with extraordinary customer service and you will NOT be disappointed in your selection of a Henry. It will become your favorite rifle/company soon enough.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 26, 2019 1:38 pm

probably operator error but wanted some opinions.
It appears the round never cleared the tube and got jammed under the cartridge lift.
Either due to a short lever cycle or because the tube popped out and relieved the spring pressure and it didn't get pushed back all the way.
Regardless it never made it to the chamber so if it is cycling OK now all is well and I'd say back to the range without delay!
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 am

First, welcome! Sorry for your situation. My thinking is similar to Mistered's. The cartridge should have ejected. What brand of rounds are you using? I had a similar situation happened when using Magtech ammo in my Marlin 1894C. It failed to eject three consecutive rounds.

I removed to magazine tube spring initially, to clear the jam. Then, I fired two more rounds with the same results (loaded one at a time). Next, I shot Federals and Remingtons without any issues. I concluded that Magtech rounds are not for my lever. I will probably shoot the rest through my revolver.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am

The OP's issue was with feed, not ejection.
GFK wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 am
... The cartridge should have ejected. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 am

Mags wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am
The OP's issue was with feed, not ejection.
GFK wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 am
... The cartridge should have ejected. ...
Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed the brand also.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).