what about Uncle Sam's part?
No sales tax in Oregon.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: H024-3030 on display in MS

Post by Mags » Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 pm

You sure that is a Uncle Sam thing or is it a Tennessee thing? If it is Federal, it's hidden in the shelf price of the firearm here. Never heard of it before. Also as MisterEd shared, no sales tax in Oregon.
Vaquero wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:38 pm
Mags wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:13 pm
The H009B here is $819.99 plus $10 background check, so out the door $829.99. I think BigAl paid $829 for his side-gate.
Here that is .0975% of the $819

RP
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Mags wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 pm
You sure that is a Uncle Sam thing or is it a Tennessee thing? If it is Federal, it's hidden in the shelf price of the firearm here. Never heard of it before. Also as MisterEd shared, no sales tax in Oregon.
Vaquero wrote:
Mags wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:13 pm
The H009B here is $819.99 plus $10 background check, so out the door $829.99. I think BigAl paid $829 for his side-gate.

RP
I know all states don't pay the same, and some don't on food.
Didn't know there were some that pay none.
I'm sure some of your other taxes are higher.
We pay that for everything here. :roll:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 pm

If it is Federal, it's hidden in the shelf price of the firearm here.
The only thing that is 'hidden' as far as a tax on firearms and ammo is the Pittman-Roberston excise tax act of 1937 - but I don't think this is what Vaquero is referring to.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 pm

Oregon state income tax is 3rd highest in the US. Don't really feel it when you're still in the work force. But when you're retired and living off your savings it hurts. Property tax is reasonable. Voters killed runaway property assessments and forced a rollback several years ago. State legislature keeps trying to put in place a hidden sales tax. The latest, a gross receipts tax on retailers that we can expect the retailers to pass along to consumers in the form of higher prices. We'll see if it gets passed in the Oregon senate. If it does it'll show up on a ballot for the voters to repeal.
Vaquero wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 pm
Mags wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 pm
Vaquero wrote:

RP
I know all states don't pay the same, and some don't on food.
Didn't know there were some that pay none.
I'm sure some of your other taxes are higher.
We pay that for everything here. :roll:

RP
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 am

Mistered wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:42 pm
That is a lot of ARs.
By the look of them they all appear to be used.
It is my belief the whole 'black gun' craze is on the decline - seeing the sheer number of them used in pawn shops and up for sale on websites.
I’m not sure it’s on a decline. There are a lot showing up used, but at the rate they are being produced, I think it represents a very small percentage. I suspect many showing up used were purchased by someone who “had to get one before they are banned” and then realized they had no real use for one-impulse buys.

One trend I do notice is that another one of the local shops has started stocking lever action actions and is moving them regularly.

They are also stocking more revolvers than they used to.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 am

My CFO once asked if we should get one before they are banned. I've thought about it, including 'if I had one would I ever shoot it?' So far we don't have one. I also see more levers on the shelves here. One place in particular, turns over Long Rangers frequently. Revolvers about the same as before. I have read posts here and there about MSR owners who also own Levers as well; as posts where owners sold off their MSRs and bought Levers. There is certainly a glut of MSRs in the market. Maybe the manufacturers collectively over thought an anticipated buying spree, because of legislation worries. Maybe the market has topped out with or without a decline in MSR sales.
PatientWolf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 am
Mistered wrote:
That is a lot of ARs.
It is my belief the whole 'black gun' craze is on the decline - seeing the sheer number of them used in pawn shops and up for sale on websites.
I’m not sure it’s on a decline. There are a lot showing up used, but at the rate they are being produced, I think it represents a very small percentage. I suspect many showing up used were purchased by someone who “had to get one before they are banned” and then realized they had no real use for one-impulse buys.

One trend I do notice is that another one of the local shops has started stocking lever action actions and is moving them regularly.

Last edited by Mags on Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm

PatientWolf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 am
Mistered wrote:
That is a lot of ARs.

I thought the same thing when I read the latest NRA newsletter, which has a lever and revolvers listed.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Mags wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 am
My CFO once asked if we should get one before they are banned. I've thought about it, including 'if I had one would I ever shoot it?' So far we don't have one. I also see more levers on the shelves here. One place in particular, turns over Long Rangers frequently. Revolvers about the same as before. I have read posts here and there about MSR owners who also own Levers as well; as posts where owners sold off their MSRs and bought Levers. There is certainly a glut of MSRs in the market. Maybe the manufacturers collectively over thought an anticipated buying spree, because of legislation worries. Maybe the market has topped out with or without a decline in MSR sales.
Same here. The biggest gun shop near me (still tiny by chain store standards) has about a 50ft floor rack stuffed full of used black rifles, and another 40 ft rack of new ones. Other than handguns their best sellers are hunting shotguns and bolt/lever guns. I'm in there fairly often, and buyers most often walk right past the MSR's and walk out with a far more expensive hunting gun.

I could have bought 2 AR's for what I paid for my BBSC, but don't see a need for a range toy and that's about all they are used for in reality.

Like the old 1st Sgt. in "We Were Soldiers" said: "If I need a rifle, there will be plenty of them laying around on the ground." ;) :lol:
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.