Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to forum - questions on BB Carbine - 45 Colt

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New to forum - questions on BB Carbine - 45 Colt

Post by Michiganshooter » Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Greetings to all - new to this forum but not to gun forums or shooting - have been shooting for 55 + years os sort of on the senior citizen list! I also have cast for that length of time and reloaded for a number of years. So anyway . . .

I'm in the process of downsizing the calibers I reload and shoot with includes getting rid of some guns that I don't use now. Primarily, I guess I'm a "plinker and can killer" more or less.

I prefer shooting single action but do "carry" several different semi-autos in .380 or 9mm as well as carring my trusty Smith 36 J frame on occasion.

I am going to stick to two SA calibers - 38/357 and 45 Colt - and will be adding at least one lever gun in each those calibers. I have looked at Winchester, Uberti, Rossi, Marlin, etc. as I do like the traditional "old west" look . . . but . . . as Louis Sullivan said, "Form follows function." While the Henry's do't follow a true traditional look/design, the one thing they do have is reliability and excellent customer service . . and those are the most important things as far as I am concerned. For some reason, my looking and searching seems to always bring me back to "Henry firearms" - and unlike some, tubular mag is certainly not a deal breaker. I don't shoot competition, CAS or SASS so that is not an issue to consider for me either. I have an old Brooklyn address Henry H001Y that I bought from a friend that was NIB and it had been stored in an attic for years - to say I love it would be an understatement so I do have some experience with Henrys. So now to my question or questions . . . .

The first lever gun that I would like to order is one in 45 LC. I have been looking at the BB carbine models - brass and steel. Primarily it will be a "knock about gun" - i.e. plinking, a woodchuck once in a while and when we winter in AZ, something to slide in to a scabbard in the back of the vehicle for when we are out in the boonies or traveling on roads less traveled -= just as sort of a back up for the CCW if necessary (hopefully never) as we are in southern AZ and let's just say that things are not getting better there by any means. Primarily it will be a fun gun but I can also see it being a handy SD weapon as well if ever necessary.

I like octagon barrels and the look of the brass - but this is going to be a lock about gun. IF I were to get a brass model, I'd let the brass tarnish and get a nice patina and even then, it might be too much bling - but I do like the octagon barrel and the crescent butt pate.

I also like the steel model though and it looks like that one may be the ticket - it's about a pound lighter than the brass model so I guess I consider that as well. My eyes are old so I will probably put a skinner peep on it. A 255 grain Lyman / Ideal 452-190 over 6 grains of Red Dot shoots very accurately out of my Uberti SAA 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 LC and I am hoping that I can come up with a load that works equally well out of both the Cattleman and the Henry carbine so I have one cartridge loading for two guns.

I've read a lot of posts on here and those that have the BB carbines seem to like them whether they be Brass or Steel. My question is does the brass model with the extra weight over the steel balance just as well and out of either, are you satisfied with a lead slug load out of them as far as accuracy goes? For me, maximum range would probably be 755 yards at the most. I get excellent accuracy out of my Uberti Cattleman out to 50 yards and if I do my job, the revolver will easily keep them in a group tight enough that on a woodchuck, it will usually do the trick unless I flinch so I'm sure the carbine will do a good job as well at those distances?

Any input or thoughts on your carbines wold be greatly appreciated - I have a feeling that once I get one in 45, one in 39/357 will be quick to follow.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and I have to smile ad chuckle when I see the love of Henry's as an "addiction" . . . I'm thinking it's more of a "Henry Cult"! :-) Everybody likes different things and any mechanical item can have a problem at times . . . but what impresses me on the Henrys I have handled and looked at . as well as the little 22 that I have . . .is the quality of them and especially the wood they use . . . reminds me of how things used to be many many years ago when you purchased a new Remington or Winchester - no so anymore and that is where Henry is a winner in my book . . . plus it's evident that they take care of their customers and appreciate them . . . not to mention "American made!"

Thanks again and look forward to hearing how those who have carbines - especially those in 45 LC - like them and any things to look out for on them when using reloads and cast,, etc.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: New to forum - questions on BB Carbine - 45 Colt

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Michiganshooter wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm
I am going to stick to two SA calibers - 38/357 and 45 Colt - and will be adding at least one lever gun in each those calibers. I have looked at Winchester, Uberti, Rossi, Marlin, etc. as I do like the traditional "old west" look . . . but . . . as Louis Sullivan said, "Form follows function." While the Henry's do't follow a true traditional look/design, the one thing they do have is reliability and excellent customer service . . and those are the most important things as far as I am concerned.
Welcome to the forum from CT. You will get plenty of encouragement for those two calibers and Henry Rifles and Carbines. I look forward to seeing what you decide on. I love my Brass Big Boy in .357, but many here prefer other flavors and calibers. There are many knowledgeable members here who will be more than happy to share their thoughts. Glad you joined us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum Michiganshooter. I prefer the carbine models and have 2 of them. If I had to do it over again with the others they would all be carbines. I just like how they handle. Don't shoot much in the way of cast bullets anymore I use copper plated. But when I have shot cast in the 45 its been all good. Mine likes about 10.3 grains of HS-6 with a 255 gr Missouri cast bullet. I also use Red Dot at about 6.5 grains. I haven't shot the 45 much as I really like the 357 better. Just personal preference.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

I have a Big Boy brass carbine in .357mag, and a Big Boy steel rifle in .327fed/mag.
Both are fine with cast bullets, but I do have one question about your parameters.
You posted your "maximum expected range" for the .45Colt will be 755 yards?

Um, I think you're going to be lobbing those things in there.
The trajectory of the average .45Colt round at 755 yards is going to look like a rainbow.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction and background. You've clearly done your homework and have a great base of knowledge from which to take the plunge!
I've added a few to the stable myself and have recently started reloading, just 357 and 45 Colt so far and enjoy them both.
The 45 Colt Brass Carbine is a great rifle, and you're spot on about the weight difference; the carbine length helps somewhat, and the balance is fantastic, as Al points out above.
The other two things to consider as you weigh brass vs. steel in that caliber is that the steel model comes with checkered stocks and swivel studs, whereas the Brass version does not. Doesn't sound like a sling is that big a deal for you, so it might not matter. I was hesitant about not having checkered stocks, but the round is so manageable I haven't really noticed. Another personal preference thing that might or might not sway you.
Based on what you say you're going to do with it and how you'd manage the brass finish, the Big Boy Brass Carbine sounds like a winner!
I also did the Skinner peep and a Lyman front globe, which is a great combo.
Please keep us posted on your decision and post pics. Would love to see that Brooklyn 22LR when you get a chance!
Welcome again, glad to have you here! Here are a couple of pics of the BB Brass with the mods:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I saw the 755 also but I think its a Typo and the OP means 75 yards.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 15, 2019 6:06 pm

I don't have either caliber you're interested in. Just the same welcome to forum from the TV Oregon!
As Esquared shared the brass models don't have sling studs, but you can still put a sling on them. Brass Stacker makes a nice no-drill "harness" sling, as do other leather works.
Michiganshooter wrote:
Greetings to all - new to this forum but not to gun forums or shooting ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed May 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Welcome!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 15, 2019 7:41 pm

first, welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... I believe that at 55+ years old, you will find that you will be one of your younger members .... please take a look at our members age thread (link below) where you can join our age charting ....

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 076#p94076

both a 357 and Mag 45LC are excellent calibers that perform well in Henry carbines .... my hunch is the 775 yards mentioned below was typo .... if 75 yards is anywhere near what you were trying to say, they both are very capable for hunting and plinking ....
Michiganshooter wrote:
For me, maximum range would probably be 755 yards at the most.

for a primarily "knock about gun" I'd go with the cheaper BBS .... we have one in 357 and is fine shooter .... it also has the advantage of having a recoil pad .... once again, welcome to our forum .... I'm looking forward to following your selection process .... please also take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total .... as you add additional rifles, please revisit the thread and add them as well

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 614#p95614
0 x

Michiganshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Michiganshooter » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks all - greatly appreciate the warm welcome and the good information.

YEP! TYPO! Should have been 75 yards . . NOT 755 yards! :-) I'm guessing that at 755 yards I'd have to mount it on a carriage, have a good elevation screw and do a lot of "fire for effect"!!! LOL

My deer hunting days are over - been a diabetic for 52 years and it has taken it's effect in a lot of ways - my feet have broken down and I have to wear leg braces so can't do a lot of tromping around anyone but still can get around so can't complain. If I still hunted then it would be an easy choice - I'd go steel to eliminate any glare off the brass. Kind of a dilemma as I like the checkering on the steel model and the fat that it does have sling studs already but as pointed out a sling can be installed on the brass model but no checkering. I have a feeling it may come to a coin toss as to which one the first one is and maybe the thing to do is when I get the carbine in 357, go with the other model? I love the 45 LC just for the history of the cartridge. I also load some 45 Schofield - again for the history of the cartridge but I figure they probably wouldn't cycle in the carbine.

In looking at what is available in 38/357 - I have a number of molds but the only thing I have with a flat nose is the Lee 358 SWC. I'm guessing they might cycle O.K. but I'm looking at a couple of molds that Tom at Accurae lists - they have a double crimp groove - one to seat and crimp on the upper groove for 357 brass and the other to utilize the lower crimp groove to seat the bullet out in a 38 special casing so it's the same COAL as a 357 cartridge. One mold is in 150 grain and the other is in the 170 grain range. Not sure which would work best in a Henry 38/357 but I would think either weight would give decent results and both bullet weights could be utilized in my Uberti 4 3/4" 357 Bisley. Just a matter of working up a load that would provide good results in both the bisley and the Henry

As far as the 45 LC - when there was a shortage of powder, I had a chance to pick up a 8 pound job of Red Dot. I usually have Red Dot, Bulls Eye, Green Dot and Unique in my cabinet. I know that Unique is a traditional powder for the 45 LC but on my revolver, I kept going back to Red Dot - but I'm not married to it. In the revolver I had very acceptable results with Green Dot and Unique.

I reload 30-30 and 8 mm Mauser (8 X 57) as well but pretty much light plinking loads. Have tried all the above powders in those two cartridges and got my best results out of Red Dot as well. I have a Winchester 94 "Ranger" and a second year mfg. of the Marlin 336SC "waffle top". II love the 30-30 cartridge and playing with different lead bullet weights but am considering the possibility of selling those rifles and getting one of the new Henry single shots in 30-30 to play with - I know there has been a bunch o chatter on the heavy triggers on them but I think that can be ironed out with a spring change and I can pretty much get accustomed to any trigger pull. I would probably scope the single shot so I could shoot at longer distances than I normally shoot.

Thanks again - appreciate the info and am looking forward to a Henry! I apologize for the "distance error" - trust me - I couldn't see a target at that distance! LOL
0 x