Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to forum - questions on BB Carbine - 45 Colt

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New to forum - questions on BB Carbine - 45 Colt

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2019 12:15 am

Well, I'd encourage you to go brass and let it go patina to address the glare. At 7.76 lbs vrs 7.00 lbs, brass vrs steel, I doubt you'll notice the 0.76 lb difference. Also brass/octagon has that very nice classic appeal.
Michiganshooter wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm
Thanks all - greatly appreciate the warm welcome and the good information.

YEP! TYPO! Should have been 75 yards . . NOT 755 yards! :-) I'm guessing that at 755 yards I'd have to mount it on a carriage, have a good elevation screw and do a lot of "fire for effect"!!! LOL

My deer hunting days are over - been a diabetic for 52 years and it has taken it's effect in a lot of ways - my feet have broken down and I have to wear leg braces so can't do a lot of tromping around anyone but still can get around so can't complain. If I still hunted then it would be an easy choice - I'd go steel to eliminate any glare off the brass. Kind of a dilemma as I like the checkering on the steel model and the fat that it does have sling studs already but as pointed out a sling can be installed on the brass model but no checkering. I have a feeling it may come to a coin toss as to which one the first one is and maybe the thing to do is when I get the carbine in 357, go with the other model? I love the 45 LC just for the history of the cartridge. I also load some 45 Schofield - again for the history of the cartridge but I figure they probably wouldn't cycle in the carbine.

In looking at what is available in 38/357 - I have a number of molds but the only thing I have with a flat nose is the Lee 358 SWC. I'm guessing they might cycle O.K. but I'm looking at a couple of molds that Tom at Accurae lists - they have a double crimp groove - one to seat and crimp on the upper groove for 357 brass and the other to utilize the lower crimp groove to seat the bullet out in a 38 special casing so it's the same COAL as a 357 cartridge. One mold is in 150 grain and the other is in the 170 grain range. Not sure which would work best in a Henry 38/357 but I would think either weight would give decent results and both bullet weights could be utilized in my Uberti 4 3/4" 357 Bisley. Just a matter of working up a load that would provide good results in both the bisley and the Henry

As far as the 45 LC - when there was a shortage of powder, I had a chance to pick up a 8 pound job of Red Dot. I usually have Red Dot, Bulls Eye, Green Dot and Unique in my cabinet. I know that Unique is a traditional powder for the 45 LC but on my revolver, I kept going back to Red Dot - but I'm not married to it. In the revolver I had very acceptable results with Green Dot and Unique.

I reload 30-30 and 8 mm Mauser (8 X 57) as well but pretty much light plinking loads. Have tried all the above powders in those two cartridges and got my best results out of Red Dot as well. I have a Winchester 94 "Ranger" and a second year mfg. of the Marlin 336SC "waffle top". II love the 30-30 cartridge and playing with different lead bullet weights but am considering the possibility of selling those rifles and getting one of the new Henry single shots in 30-30 to play with - I know there has been a bunch o chatter on the heavy triggers on them but I think that can be ironed out with a spring change and I can pretty much get accustomed to any trigger pull. I would probably scope the single shot so I could shoot at longer distances than I normally shoot.

Thanks again - appreciate the info and am looking forward to a Henry! I apologize for the "distance error" - trust me - I couldn't see a target at that distance! LOL
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Sat May 25, 2019 4:17 pm

I would go brass also, let it patina and it has a classic look that could be straight out of the western movies, the balance is excellent and the action is as slick as they come. My BBB is 44 mag and it is one of the nicest levers I have owned, side eject so a scope is easy, Skinner's or marble tang also easy to fit.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun May 26, 2019 9:14 am

Michiganshooter, you won't go wromg with a .45 Colt Henry. You'll love it. I have/shoot one, BB steel with 20" barrel. It balances and points spot-on. My everyday load is 8.0-8.5gr Unique, 250gr Missouri LRNFP bullets and Starline brass.
Like you, I no longer hunt, so this is a great target round. Very easy to shoot and accurate. Regarding a Henry in .357, I have one of those also: BB brass, 20" octagon barrel with a Weaver 1-3x20mm scope. A very fun rifle to shoot. Even with it's weight,which isn't bas at all, it balances well. You'll enjoy both. Keep us posted. Geez, almost forgot: WELCOME!
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:54 pm

OP, another option is the color case hardened model. I have one in 45 Colt and 45-70, and I love the look.
IMG_20190113_153923.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 27, 2019 9:59 pm

beautiful indeed .... I wish the CCH finish had of been available back when we bought our BBS
0 x