Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger 308 Issue - Round Not Fully Seating

faucettn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger 308 Issue - Round Not Fully Seating

Post by faucettn » Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm

All, I was recently given a brand new Henry Long Ranger 308 as a gift. It is a beautiful rifle and I am looking forward to using it. This being said, I seem to have an issue with feeding rounds into the chamber. For whatever reason, when a round is fed, the bolt will not full seat forward. It stops at about 1/4 of an inch. I have inspected and cleaned the rifle and cannot find what the issue is. Has anyone experienced this or know how to solve it?

Thanks!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger 308 Issue - Round Not Fully Seating

Post by ESquared » Sun May 12, 2019 10:28 pm

First, WELCOME to the forum from KC! Glad to have you here and congrats on a fine Henry! Is it your first? If so, you started near the top of the food chain, so kudos on a great gift!

As to your issue:

What ammo? is the first question that comes to mind.

The second question is "what vintage is your LR?", as some early production models seem to have made it into the world with some chamber/bore issues (my 308 LR included). If you can't tell from what you were given, paperwork-wise, you can reach out to HRA Customer Service with the S/N and they'll give you the mfr date. Late 2017 seems to be the affected production runs (based on my Oct 2017 date).

Lastly, not a question but a suggestion and that is to call HRA customer service post-haste and talk to them about it. They will make it right,no matter what.

Welcome again and please keep us posted!
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Agree with Evan reach out to Henry they will make it right for you.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun May 12, 2019 10:37 pm

I have the LR in .223/5.56. I had that issue and had to send it back to Henry. They remedied it by 'adjusting bolt lock up'. If you're not familiar with the anatomy of the LR, the LR has a 2 piece bolt. The larger rear portion is called a 'bolt carrier', the smaller forward piece is the actual bolt. As the lever is closed the bolt carrier & bolt move toward the chamber with the cogs on the bolt rotating in behind a set of fixed cogs in the receiver wall. Bolt is now normally in 'lockup' behind the chamber. If the adjustment is off, the cogs on the bolt get hung up on the cogs in the receiver and the bolt can't rotate into the locked position leaving the rear of the bolt carrier sticking out of the back of the receiver 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
Henry Customer Service Contacts: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5127

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon!
faucettn wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm
All, I was recently given a brand new Henry Long Ranger 308 as a gift. It is a beautiful rifle and I am looking forward to using it. This being said, I seem to have an issue with feeding rounds into the chamber. For whatever reason, when a round is fed, the bolt will not full seat forward. It stops at about 1/4 of an inch. I have inspected and cleaned the rifle and cannot find what the issue is. Has anyone experienced this or know how to solve it?

Thanks!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am

Has anyone experienced this or know how to solve it?
Yes, I have experienced it with 308 reloads. I solved the problem by using a "small base" sizing die to reload with or by shooting factory ammo only. Seems the chamber is cut to near match spec's. YMMV.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 pm

first, welcome indeed .... happy to have you join our forum.... sorry to hear about the issue with your Long Ranger .... I agree that it is most likely a question of ammo or internal gear lockup .... if you are firing reloads, try a box of factory ammo .... if ammo turns out to be the issue you will have to figure out how to correctly resize your cases ... if its a matter of timing, your rifle needs to go back to Henry .... in that case, contact them and they will take care of it for you .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 100#p95100
0 x

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I had this exact issue with a 308 AR that I owned. It was maddening for me, as some of my handloads would work fine, some wouldn't, and all Factory ammo ran like melted butter through the rifle. I traced it down to I had mixed up some brass and not had it full length sized. That tends to make a large difference on how far that ammunition wants to go into the chamber when you have a rotary bolt like the Henry's or an ar-type rifle.

Glad to hear you figured out what was going on, as I did. And now I have to resize a couple of ammunition boxes full of ammo so that it will fit into a rifle chamber. Hopefully you don't have near the work ahead of you that I do.

This made it perfectly clear just how helpful set of chamber gauges for loaded ammunition is.
0 x
If you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

How many? #943 and 944 》H006M and H001M

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Those contributing to the topic have their individual circumstance resolved, but we are still waiting to hear back from the OP about his resolution.
Bubbas4570 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:09 pm
...Glad to hear you figured out what was going on, ....
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:58 am

Mags wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm
Those contributing to the topic have their individual circumstance resolved, but we are still waiting to hear back from the OP about his resolution.
Bubbas4570 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:09 pm
...Glad to hear you figured out what was going on, ....
I guess this is what happens when you read too fast. For some reason I was thinking that the OP had solved his problems. I guess I missed that.
0 x
If you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

How many? #943 and 944 》H006M and H001M

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 am

Haven't heard from him since his first post. He'll be back...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357