Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever change and Trapper comparison

Settingsun1892
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Lever change and Trapper comparison

Post by Settingsun1892 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Have you put them side by side and see any difference?
0 x

CP:
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CP: » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 pm

I did not put the calipers to it, but the bolt lobe-end of the big loop appears to be thicker and when installed did not have as much lateral side play as the small loop lever. I could not detect any other differences between the two in milling angles or footprint.
0 x

CP:
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CP: » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:26 pm

OK-The bolt lobe end of the small finger lever has a thickness of .135” and the large loop is .140” in thickness. Everything else appears to be the same except for the size of a cut-out near the snail cam - see below. With the small finger lever installed, I could push the lifter (elevator) down from the up position with my finger, but I cannot do so with the large loop installed. I think I’ll email Henry this post and get their thoughts. CP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:13 pm

CP: wrote:OK-The bolt lobe end of the small finger lever has a thickness of .135” and the large loop is .140” in thickness. Everything else appears to be the same except for the size of a cut-out near the snail cam - see below. With the small finger lever installed, I could push the lifter (elevator) down from the up position with my finger, but I cannot do so with the large loop installed. I think I’ll email Henry this post and get their thoughts. CP.
I would...
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CP:
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CP: » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Well, it surely did not take Henry long to react to my email. They believe that the standard finger lever that I purchased may be out of specifications and have put another one in the mail to me. I appreciate Henry’s prompt no muss, no fuss customer service in this regard. Pretty cool...
3 x

CP:
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CP: » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:43 pm

I received the standard finger lever replacement, for the one that was out of specifications, from Henry. I installed it and it works as advertised-no jambs.

I have a couple of learning from this experience that l’ll share. Henry’s customer service was responsive and timely in providing me with a no-cost fix. Secondly, unlike a Marlin 336, when the finger lever, rocker and lifter are in time you cannot depress the lifter from the loading position with your finger (see photo below). If you have feeding issues with your Carbine, you may want to try this test. The out of spec lever that I replaced today would allow me to depress the lifter with my finger when it was in the top dead center position. The new standard replacement lever received today and the factory big loop lever that came with the Carbine lock the lifter in its loading position during part of the cycling process. CP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x