Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Looking at a Henry...

Settingsun1892
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Looking at a Henry...

Post by Settingsun1892 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Been lurking on this site for a month. Bought a Marlin 1895 CB last year. Had never owned or shot a lever before then. Well, I love that big lug of a gun. Lots of extras and polishing made it a fine weapon. Now I'm wanting a knockabout, easy carry rifle. The two I've shortlisted are the BB 357 and the carbine version, both brass. I hate the big loop so will probably go with 20 inch gun. Looking for opinions...
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Looking at a Henry...

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 pm

You have a fun choice ahead, Settingsun. :)

Any of the Henry Big Boy .357s would be a great rifle. Just pick the one out with whatever features and looks you like. (That's the fun!). They are grand shooters in a tried & true caliber.

BTW, I just recently got a Big Boy All Weather, 20" barrel, standard lever. I really like the looks of the almost black wood against the silver barrel/receiver/lever -- favorite color combo for me. As you are shopping, check it out on the Henry web site. It has the model number H012MAW. Since it was designed as an all-weather rifle, I would definitely say it is a "knockabout" gun.

Looking forward to seeing what you bring home. Enjoy!

PT7
2 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:50 pm

First, Welcome to the forum! Glad you're out among us and getting involved.

A BB 357 was my first Henry, in Steel. I looked at both Steel and Brass and here's my rundown:

1. Brass is considerably heavier, so think about that in terms of what you consider "a knockabout, easy carry rifle."
2. On the same "carry" notion, the Brass doesn't come with swivel studs, while the BBS does, so there's the "sling thing" to think about.
3. The BBS has checkering fore and aft, while the brass hasn't any, and I prefer that for "grip" purposes. Have since bought a Brass BB, and it's not a deal-breaker, but you might feel differently.
4. Brass has no recoil pad, Steel does, not that it matters that much in 357, but it's a factor for some.
5. I have both carbines with big loops and "rifles" with the standard loop, and, so far, I have zero preference of one over the other. I may be in the minority, or just easy to please, but I like both.
6. Overall, the biggest thing is how hung-up you might get over that really nice, shiny brass finish. Some folks let it go to a nice patina, some polish it like the crown jewelry, but suffice it to say that Steel will "knockabout" much more readily than Brass for most people.

You can't go wrong either way, and 357 is such a fun, versatile caliber to own/shoot/reload for, so take the above for what it's worth, considering it was free advice! Just hope that doesn't make it completely worthless! :roll:

Have fun, let us know where you end up and welcome again!
6 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm

ESquared wrote:First, Welcome to the forum! Glad you're out among us and getting involved.

A BB 357 was my first Henry, in Steel. I looked at both Steel and Brass and here's my rundown:

1. Brass is considerably heavier, so think about that in terms of what you consider "a knockabout, easy carry rifle."
2. On the same "carry" notion, the Brass doesn't come with swivel studs, while the BBS does, so there's the "sling thing" to think about.
3. The BBS has checkering fore and aft, while the brass hasn't any, and I prefer that for "grip" purposes. Have since bought a Brass BB, and it's not a deal-breaker, but you might feel differently.
4. Brass has no recoil pad, Steel does, not that it matters that much in 357, but it's a factor for some.
5. I have both carbines with big loops and "rifles" with the standard loop, and, so far, I have zero preference of one over the other. I may be in the minority, or just easy to please, but I like both.
6. Overall, the biggest thing is how hung-up you might get over that really nice, shiny brass finish. Some folks let it go to a nice patina, some polish it like the crown jewelry, but suffice it to say that Steel will "knockabout" much more readily than Brass for most people.

You can't go wrong either way, and 357 is such a fun, versatile caliber to own/shoot/reload for, so take the above for what it's worth, considering it was free advice! Just hope that doesn't make it completely worthless! :roll:

Have fun, let us know where you end up and welcome again!
Can't put it any better than ESquared. Only thing I can say; for me, I like the large loop lever. Much of the year where I do most of my shooting is up in the mountains. I almost always have gloves on, even in the summer, hence the large loop. I bought the 20" BBS 357 which came with the small loop, but quickly ordered and installed the large. That's just my own preference of course.
3 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm one of the few, the proud, the strangely weird, the .41 mag guys ;) . Bought the BBSC last fall to complement my Blackhawk in the same caliber. Blooded it this past Nov. at 75 yds. Everything about the .357 and .41 mag is identical except for caliber. And I do recommend a good sling if you're going to be humping it any distance. :) You can get the carbine with the standard loop. Henry sells a variety of loops on their site at a reasonable price.
3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Settingsun1892. Glad you joined us. Have you looked at the CCH models. There also very nice and lighter than the brass models. Carbine models in the Henrys handle very nice. I prefer them over the 20 inch model.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 pm

Can't put it any better than ESquared.
I Pretty much agree with ESquareds' synopsis.
I have a BBB in .357 and am still 'on the fence' IF I would have chosen steel over brass if it had been available at the time - which it wasn't.
HOWEVER - I still really like my BBB even after the introduction of the steel version and have no plans to change (and I previously owned a Winchester Trapper in .357)
And welcome to the forum from Wickiup Junction, Oregon!
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Welcome from Alberta. The carbines are very nice. I had a Big Boy 45 Colt that was a real sweet shooter. 20" barrel brass. Handled a carbine in a store and very compact to shoulder it. Can't go wrong either way.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Reality being what it is the BBB is not OVERLY heavy or unwieldy. Its a bit robust I'll admit but balanced and carries well in the fold of my left arm with my right hand on the grip.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 pm

With only 3+1/2" difference in length and only just less than 1/2 lb different weight, I can feel comfortable with either one.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry