Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Looking at a Henry...

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Looking at a Henry...

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:38 am

Settingsun1892 wrote:What about the triggers? I've never even shot a Henry. Typically I like pulls 2.5 to no more than 3.5 pounds. Minimal creep. Any tricks to them?
today, liability lawyers require manufactures to design and build their firearms with lawsuits in mind .... we found that with our 3 Henry rifles the trigger pull was a bit more than I prefer ..... trigger work on a Henry requires talent .... parts must be honed through a process that is as much art as it is science .... we have a friend who is literally an old school gunsmith .... he's worked on 2 of our three and their trigger pulls are in the range you mentioned with a very nice, crisp break .... I haven't had him work on our 357 because it is heavily used by our grandchildren .... the fact is Henry manufactures solid firearms at a reasonable price point ...
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:04 pm

On Henry's are the triggers MIM (metal injection molded)?
JEBar wrote:
Settingsun1892 wrote:What about the triggers? I've never even shot a Henry. Typically I like pulls 2.5 to no more than 3.5 pounds. Minimal creep. Any tricks to them?
today, liability lawyers require manufactures to design and build their firearms with lawsuits in mind .... we found that with our 3 Henry rifles that the trigger pull was a bit more than I prefer ..... trigger work on a Henry requires talent .... parts must be honed through a process that is as much art as it is science .... we have a friend who is literally an old school gunsmith .... he's worked on 2 of our three and their trigger pulls are in the range you mentioned with a very nice, crisp break .... I haven't had him work on our 357 because it is heavily used by our grandchildren .... the fact is Henry manufactures solid firearms at a reasonable price point ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Settingsun1892
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Settingsun1892 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm

I found that polishing the contact surfaces helps a lot. Just 800 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite with fine metal polish. Putting a file on a sear unless you are a competent gunsmith is asking for trouble and safety issues.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Mags wrote:On Henry's are the triggers MIM (metal injection molded)?
a while back I remember a conversation in which I read that method is used to make Henry rifle components .... that said, I'm certainly not up on this type of info
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Mags wrote:.
JEBar wrote:
today, liability lawyers require manufactures to design and build their firearms with lawsuits in mind .... we found that with our 3 Henry rifles that the trigger pull was a bit more than I prefer ..... trigger work on a Henry requires talent .... parts must be honed through a process that is as much art as it is science .... we have a friend who is literally an old school gunsmith .... he's worked on 2 of our three and their trigger pulls are in the range you mentioned with a very nice, crisp break .... I haven't had him work on our 357 because it is heavily used by our grandchildren .... the fact is Henry manufactures solid firearms at a reasonable price point ...
Yep. This is what keeps gunsmiths in business. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Ok then. Once the hardened outer layer of metal wears away or is filed off exposing the softer underlying metal, then I suspect the trigger becomes too dangerous to use. So a polish as Settingsun said should be enough and no more.
GunnyGene wrote:
Mags wrote:.
JEBar wrote:
Yep. This is what keeps gunsmiths in business. :)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Settingsun, there are some here that have regular loop levers available. Me too.

Let us know if you want one.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Settingsun1892
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Settingsun1892 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks. It's going to be a few weeks before I pull the trigger on it. Got almost back to back vacations coming up my girlfriend is priority #1 right now. She thinks she is all the time and I know better than to correct her. Hey, she can out fish me and back the boat so I have no complaints!
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Congrats on the BB Brass, whenever it comes in! Chances are very good it won't be your last, and the next decision will be easier (probably)!

Congrats again in advance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:27 am

I thought the BBB were unnecessarily heavy until I picked up an 1866 Winchester. I don't think the heavy observations are so much a Henry issue as they are just a choice for a brass receiver. I really think you will enjoy your purchase. The brass Henry's are such an attractive rifle. And if you find it is a burden in the field, you can always go back for a steel one later. I find the carbine length a great carry around the woods gun. As for the trigger, I don't find it any more objectionable than any other lever. They smooth out a lot after a few hundred rounds. I look forward to hearing about your first impressions.
0 x