Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AW .357 may be heading to Henry repair

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: AW .357 may be heading to Henry repair

Post by Redthies » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am

PT7 wrote:Actually, your comment on a new barrel is something to think about. The bore of this rifle is immaculate, clean and clear as glass. It's the best-looking barrel and rifling I've seen on any of the Henrys I've had. Would not like to lose it. Might call for some mulling before FedEx gets into the picture...
You might want to consider just putting a dab of thread locker or even plain old silicone on the bottom of the sight to act as a shim, as that should keep it where you set it. Assuming of course that it’s not loose enough to wiggle when in place? The only fix Henry is going to do for you (other than what I suggested, which I would hate to think they would do) is replace the barrel. There is no easy way to tighten up the dovetail once it’s milled other than what I’ve suggested.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:07 pm

If you have the tools, is it possible for you to drill/tap for putting in your own set screw?
PT7 wrote:Actually, your comment on a new barrel is something to think about. The bore of this rifle is immaculate, clean and clear as glass. It's the best-looking barrel and rifling I've seen on any of the Henrys I've had. Would not like to lose it. Might call for some mulling before FedEx gets into the picture...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Decided not to pursue any repair service from Henry. The barrel is too nice to lose.
Redthies wrote:... I would hate to think they would ... replace the barrel. There is no easy way to tighten up the dovetail once it’s milled...
No tools; not possible.
Mags wrote:If you have the tools, is it possible for you to drill/tap for putting in your own set screw?
Working on another alternative with a gunsmith at my LGS. Should have some info back next week; maybe a decision then. Appreciate your input, Gents.

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Coote
Tenderfoot
New Zealand

Post by Coote » Mon May 27, 2019 11:25 pm

Use your own judgement on this as I have been known to make repairs that don't always look that good.... but I'd be inclined to look at getting a foresight with a bigger base and filing it to fit... or maybe even building the base of the sight up a bit with TIG welding and then carefully fitting it. Maybe some solder would work. It is a pity that you have this problem at all and it shouldn't have to cost you time or money but I guess in the overall scheme of things it isn't catastrophic. If all the surfaces were cleaned up well, you might even find that an epoxy like JB Weld could hold that sight forever... but you'd need to glue it in exactly the right spot. I once used a TIG welder to fix a foresight in place on an old .22. It worked well, but looked a bit 'agricultural'.

Anyway I'm just rambling now and you've probably already got it sorted out. Best wishes....
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 am

It worked well, but looked a bit 'agricultural'
Haven't heard that one, l use that later.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Fri May 31, 2019 11:44 pm

My new long ranger had an 8 lb. trigger pull out of the box. The buttstock was larger than the recoil pad. Henry replaced the stock and fixed the trigger pull in 2 days.
Longest time was ground shipping by UPS (9 days from Texas to Rice Lake and return).
Henry supplies a tracking number and updates on your warranty repair.
If you want to keep your barrel, why not peen the base of your front sight to tighten it up when inserting it in the dovetail?
0 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!