Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AW .357 may be heading to Henry repair

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: AW .357 may be heading to Henry repair

Post by Mistered » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am

Might call for some mulling before FedEx gets into the picture...
I agree - why not just ‘stake’ the sight you want to use, install it and move on?
My point being why risk getting it back with with worse (or other problems) when this can be resolved quickly and easily?
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 am

Yup, the risk you mentioned is there.
Since you've written "stake" that way, it must be a specific adjust. I've not heard of that before.
What does "stake" mean? How is it done?
Mistered wrote:I agree - why not just ‘stake’ the sight you want to use, install it and move on?
My point being why risk getting it back with with worse (or other problems) when this can be resolved quickly and easily?
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:50 am

ESquared wrote:Yep, going on two weeks for something that simple gives you permission to start being the squeaky wheel. Call 'em up!
Yep, I am gonna send an email to Tom today to start with. He usually gets back same day.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 am

What does "stake" mean? How is it done?
‘Staking’ a sight is basically hammering some divots in the bottom of the sight with a punch to slightly expand the base to allow it to fit tightly. This is a common procedure and has been done since sights have been dovetailed into barrels.
Basic procedure is to get a couple small blocks of hardwood to fit into the jaws of your vise. Then you invert the sight and fit it between the blocks so it is supported to not move downward. Snug up the vise to grip the sight and smack three divots along the base with your punch. You should see some pronounced lifting of the metal around the dents and this should give it enough to fit tightly in the dovetail. If too tight you simply stone the base a bit.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:21 am

Sounds doable, Mistered. Appreciate your providing this option. It would definitely allow me to keep this pristine barrel.

I'll still wait for Henry's response, because I did ask them if they sent the correct sight based on the different numbers on the bases. If they say they will yet send another sight to me, I'd take that option, too.

Thanks.
Mistered wrote:‘Staking’ a sight is basically hammering some divots in the bottom of the sight with a punch to slightly expand the base to allow it to fit tightly.
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 am

Sorry PT, didn't mean to jump in on your post, just saw some similarity of issues. :)
I think we all agree that Henry CS is outstanding...just hope and pray QC isn't starting to lag a bit. :(
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am

because I did ask them if they sent the correct sight based on the different numbers on the bases.
I suspect the numbers on the bases are referencing the height of the sight.
The 3/8" dovetail is a standard cut for a front sight on most rifles. I fit the front sight that came on my .357 BBB on a 1967 Winchester and it's original front blade on the Henry with no problems.
The dovetail on your barrel is probably a bit on the large side so unless they send you a front sight that is cut a bit large you will probably get the same results.
Its not unlikely that a barrel dovetail gets cut a little large occasionally. A dull cutter, equipment a bit out of sync or a barrel not set up correctly etc.
Last edited by Mistered on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:24 am

Funny, but growing up around guns, including a lot of friends with guns, I just don't remember these problems. My point is....

"Didn't they really make guns well back in the old days" :D :lol:
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:45 am

Mistered wrote:
because I did ask them if they sent the correct sight based on the different numbers on the bases.
I suspect the numbers on the bases are referencing the height of the sight - Henry did not make the sights.
The 3/8" dovetail is a standard cut for a front sight on most rifles. I fit the front sight that came on my .357 BBB on a 1967 Winchester and it's original front blade onto my Henry with no problems.
The dovetail on your barrel is probably a bit on the large side so unless they send you a front sight that is cut a bit large you will probably get the same results.
Its not unlikely that a barrel dovetail gets cut a little large occasionally. A dull cutter, equipment a bit out of sync or a barrel not set up correctly etc.
4 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 pm

How many of us have had the chance to drift a dovetail sight with two fingers?!?
This as well as frozen/rusted sights.
Interestingly my 1899 Winchester has a loose rear dovetail (finger driftable) while the front was frozen. Most likely due to rust on both the sight and dovetail was my first thought
And a soak in penetrating oil for about two weeks and a couple solid raps with a brass drift broke it loose - and fortunately no rust.
An interesting end to the story occured while I was cleaning the front sight with toothpaste and I noticed the top of the sight was much brighter than the rest. When done it was obvious the sight had what appeared to be a silver inset in it and it turned out this was in fact a rare sight that was only used for a short time on the early Mod 94s.
2 x